• For Chrissy: Quest. 2 who was Hannah?

St Giles in the Fields, Middlesex
    Hannah Harrison Head W 59 Mells(?) Somerset
    Jane Do Daur U 25 Servant Epsom Surrey
    Mary Ann Do Daur U 22 Dressmaker Do
    Ann Do Daur in Law M 26 Sydenham Ken
    Henry J Do Grandson 1 St Pancras
    Hester Cook Niece U 15 Dressmaker Mells Somerset

Using the information about Hannah and her niece Hester Cook being born in Mells, Somerset, there are two contenders for Hannah:

Hannah Cook

Hannah Read
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

OK; Contender one: HANNAH COOK

a summary of what has been found

IGI has a submission for HANNAH COOK Christening: 17 AUG 1794 Mells, Somerset, Father: JOHN COOK Mother: HANNAH

So Hannah could have been baptised when she was 2ish, or might be slightly incorrect in age given 1851 or this is a red herring!

--------------------------------------------

Another FreeReg baptism
    St Andrew, Mells , Somerset Baptism Date 14 Feb 1809
    Robert Cook
    Parents: John & Hannah

IF this is the Robert father of Hester (and its the same Hester as on census in 1851) then it is likely that Hannah is Hannah Cook, named after her mother - her birth is 17 years before Robert which is not uncommon in large families and would mean that she was probably the eldest daughter named after her mother.

There is a marriage for Robert and Mary Ann in Mells in 1833 on FreeREG - Robert Cook and Mary Ann Read. [possible sister for candidate 2: Hannah Read - see second posting]

And this is a baptism for niece?
    HESTER COOK Christening: 20 MAR 1836 Mells, Somerset
    Parents: Father: ROBERT COOK Mother: MARY ANN
    Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church
    It’s also on FreeReg.

Comment

Candidate 2: Hannah Read

Hannah Read, 9 Oct 1791 St Andrew, Mells, Somerset, parents Thomas and Hester. FreeReg

The year fits your Hannah better than Hanna Cook did, and since her mother is Hester it is a good bet that her sister would name a daughter Hester, so this is looking likely.

baptism on the IGI for Marianne Read 28 Sep 1806 Mells, Somerset, parents Thos. and Ester, and it is also on FreeREG.

So could be your Hannah is Hannah Read, daughter of Thomas and Esther and sister of Marianne / Mary Ann.

There is a George Harrison / Hannah Read marriage on Pallot's Marriage Index at Holborn St Andrew, listed for both 1821 and 1822. Of course, it could just be a coincidence as these are all such common names.

Comment

Thanks Nell
        www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
        http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

If your still around Nell

I have found a George Harrison in 1851 census as an Inmate at St Pancreas Workhouse.

Would he have been put there by his family? (thats if its my George)

He was b 1787 in Highgate Middlesex, not sure if that near to where we have been looking, my geography of the area is limited to say the least :D

I found the workhouse on google but it only has 1881 census on it

Comment

I would think it unlikely George would have been put in the workhouse by his family - he would have been the head of the family and their means of support. I suppose he might have been being treated there, since workhouses had infirmaries attached to them. BUT IF IT IS THE RIGHT GEORGE then Hannah shouldn't have been described as a widow, should she? Or am I muddled?

Highgate is North London and not "near" St Pancras - but if this is George W's father, then we don't know where he was born, do we?

Comment

Think I'm clutching at straws now :D, time to call it a night, thanks for all you help today, I will now go and leave you alone, sleep well

Comment

You too.

BTW you can check out how far places in London are from eachother on google maps.

Comment

Working...
                X