Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 quick questions please

I have Ann Harrison with son on 1851 census staying with Mother in law so

Question 1 where would George W Harrison (husband) be?

Question 2 How do you find a marriage when you only have the christian name of the bride, dob, and place where she was born?

Thanks
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

First question - he could be anywhere! (sorry) I don't suppose he was one of those annoying sailors, was he?
    Second question - if one of their children was born after 1837 and the birth was registered then you could get the birth certificate to see mother's maiden name.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kate, was hoping there was a way online while I'm on a roll

Comment

Well, o.k., sometimes you can get a good guess at who it is from working online, but with names like Harrison and Ann it might be a bit iffy...

Is this her in 1851?
        St Giles in the Fields, Middlesex
        Hannah Harrison Head W 59 Mells(?) Somerset
        Jane Do Daur U 25 Servant Epsom Surrey
        Mary Ann Do Daur U 22 Dressmaker Do
        Ann Do Daur in Law M 26 Sydenham Kent
        Henry J Do Grandson 1 St Pancras
        Hester Cook Niece U 15 Dressmaker Mells Somerset
        Last edited by KiteRunner; 18-05-08, 15:32.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Do stop me if that isn't them! But there is a baptism on the IGI for Henry Joseph Harrison, born 19 Aug 1849, baptised 17 Aug 1849 Old Church, St Pancras, parents George William Harrison and Ann, so I'm guessing that's the right family...
          KiteRunner

Comment

Yes thats the one, I know Ann was married to George W,he's the one who disappeared in 1851, its who Hannah was married to, this would be George's father.

Thanks Kate

Comment

so whose maiden name are you trying to find out, Ann's or Hannah's?
              KiteRunner

Comment

Chrissy

Absent husbands are a pigging nuisance. Whilst I have some that were fishermen, so presumably at sea on census night, there are lots who just aren't at home on any of the censuses. I think they were down the pub and probably their wives said they weren't at home (being literal) when asked by the enumerator.

As for maiden names and marriages - you can try looking for bride's christian name and the groom's surname (sorry if you didn't mean this) on Freebmd if after Jul 1837. Before 1837 you can look on familysearch but there will probably be tons!

Or if you have a bride's birthplace and age, if its a small parish AND its on the IGI you can go through all the baptisms on it and pick out all the likely females AND then trace them forwards seeing if you can find marriages to eliminate them. I have done this and it is time-consuming, but possible.

Generally a likely marriage place is where eldest child was baptised or where mother was baptised, and then work your way round the surrounding parishes.

Whose marriage are you looking for?
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'm looking for Hannah maiden name, she was b abt 1792 in Mells Somerset and if I could find her marriage then I would get George's fathers name.

Comment

If it's Hannah's marriage you're trying to find then hopefully her niece Hester Cook will be a good clue - if she isn't Hannah's husband's niece, of course, but the birthplaces match.
                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 18-05-08, 15:32. Reason: name!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry, is her name Harriet or Hannah?
                      KiteRunner

Comment

according to 1861 census - info I found on your other thread

George W was born St Pancras abt 1825 but I can't see a likely baptism on familysearch, which would have given parents' names. Shame.

1851 Hannah Harrison gives her birth as abt 1792 in Mells, Somerset.

Comment

Hannah, lol your getting as bad as me Kate :D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                            George W was born St Pancras abt 1825 but I can't see a likely baptism on familysearch, which would have given parents' names. Shame.

1851 Hannah Harrison gives her birth as abt 1792 in Mells, Somerset.
                            That's what I have Nell

Comment

In 1851 household is Hannah's niece, Hester Cook, also born Mells in 1836.

Comment

I think I found Hannah and Mary Ann in 1841 but Hannah isn't with a husband.
                                HO107/682, Book 8, Civil Parish St Pancras, County Middlesex, Enumeration District 8, Folio 5, Page 5.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Mells isn't on Hugh Wallis batch numbers, curses!

But there is this:

HESTER COOK Christening: 20 MAR 1836 Mells, Somerset
                                  Parents: Father: ROBERT COOK Mother: MARY ANN
                                  Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so if this is reliable, you need to find out whether Hannah was the sister of Robert (in which case her maiden name is Cook) or of Mary Ann.

Comment

That Hester Cook baptism is also on FreeREG so I think we can trust it.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

From Freereg (not sure if this makes things clearer or murkier!)

St Andrew, Mells , Somerset

Baptism Date 14 Feb 1809
                                      Forename Robert
                                      Sex M
                                      FatherForename John
                                      MotherForename Hannah
                                      FatherSurname COOK

IF this is the Robert father of Hester (and its the same Hester as on census in 1851) then it is likely that Hannah is Hannah Cook, named after her mother - her birth is 17 years before Robert which is not uncommon in large families and would mean that she was probably the eldest daughter named after hermother.

Comment

There is a marriage for Robert and Mary Ann in Mells in 1833 on FreeREG - Robert Cook and Mary Ann Read.
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X