Name change on PR, is it usual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name change on PR, is it usual?

I'm trying to verify someones tree as they have the same family as me..

I have Samuel Flavell marr to Diana Hickmans with children Samuel 1822 and Roseannah 1827, both born Staffordshire in my tree.

The tree I am looking at has 7 children inc Samuel and Roseannah and on the IGI the parents of the children are Samuel and either Ann or Hannah. Could this be Diana?

Notes from other tree...

Called variously Dinah, Hannah and Ann on church records. Christenings for Edward et al give Hannah as mother's name, but a search of the marriage indexes (Birmingham, STS, WOR and Salop) and the IGI has failed to turn up a marrriage between a Samuel Flavell and any kind of Hannah! The Kingswinford marriage to Dinah HICKMANS seems the only convincing one. (See 1841 census entry) Census entries for Samuel and Diana FLAVELL are probably the Samuel and Dinah who were married in Kingswinford in 1807, and certainly seem to be likely parents for the Rose Anna bap. to Samuel and Ann in 1827, given that Samuel and Diana have a daughter of the right age who bears that name. It is probable, therefore, that Hannah, Ann, Dinah and Diana are all the same person.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thank you..

]

I certainly have Ann/Hannah/Rosehannah as the same person but haven't heard of Diana/Dinah also being the same.

The notes from the other tree do at least show the person has thought carefully about it!

Anne

Comment

The actual baptism entries will likely give Samuel's occupation so you can compare it to his occupation on the census, which might help.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Anne,

Being new to parish records I dont know what to think but the other tree has been carefully researched and a Gent doing a ONS on the Flavell name has had some input.
        Diana to Hannah though lol?

]

Comment

Kite they are all either miners or nailers and the notes from the "other tree" say ..# Birth: ABT 1784 in Sedgley, STS, ENG
          # Note: (guesstimated date) I have the same date from the census.

The son Samuel c 1822 I cant find his baptisme and it isnt in the other tree either!

]

Comment

Hannah/Rosanna and Ann are likely errors for one or other name. Ann can be short for Hannah.

Dinah is sometimes recorded as Diana, since Diana is more usual than Dinah.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Denise.

I think its a case of 'making it fit', and l understand why with this family.
              I've been tempted to do it myself :D
              Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Hannah/Rosanna and Ann are likely errors for one or other name. Ann can be short for Hannah.

Dinah is sometimes recorded as Diana, since Diana is more usual than Dinah.
                Thanks Nell, theres a marriage on IGI for a Samuel Flavill to a Dinah Hickmans in 1807 so theres hope lol..

]

Comment

Pam I do sympathise with you lol but we have Flavells.
                  Have you seen the other tree? Its quite public so here have a look and see what you think then you can link us up lol..I have to go make the tea lol.. .:D

RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Satima's Ancestors

]

Comment

I was in touch with Satima a few years ago, but could not connect my Flavells with hers.
                    Looking at that tree, there is a lot unproven.

With regards to your Samuel and Diana it does seem funny that they married in 1806, yet u can only find the two children born 1820 and 1826. I would think there were more children (could be the ones Satima has) but proving it is going to be difficult.

Have u tried the Sedgley Manor site. There are a few people researching Flavells
                    Pam

Comment

There's always hope. That's what makes it so frustrating. If we could just despair we could forget - its the hope that keeps us going!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Pam,

Ive tried in the past to find and prove more children but never quite managed it lol. I sent a few e mails after seeing the Sedgley manor site but no one answered but its a lovely site anyway!

I found Roseannah's 2nd marriage in 1859 to Goldston and am really hoping it comes back with Samuel as the father or Im snookered!!

There is a lot on the tree that seems unproven so I think Ill just trundle on in my own sweet way and like Nell says........

"There's always hope. That's what makes it so frustrating. If we could just despair we could forget - its the hope that keeps us going"!:D
                        Last edited by Northern Light; 18-05-08, 19:27.

]

Comment

Working...
                        X