No announcement yet.

I can't read one word on a medal card!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't read one word on a medal card!

On Ancestry there is a WW1 medal card for Leonard Harrison Whelan, alias Duncan Fraser.

On the reverse I can read point 1) but there's a word I can't get in point 2)

Further letter from Lieut S P Whelan in respect of the ??????? of his late Brother, Capt L H Whelan 8.12.18 (alias Duncan Fraser)

Any ideas please?

services ??
    Elaine

Comment

and can anyone mage sense of the second address?

The Gables
      Poligate????????????
      Sussex

Comment

Polegate ??
        (north of Eastbourne on map!)
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          services ??
          Oooh, It could be! I thought it looked like "remains", but that wouldn't make any sense as there were none.

I may actually have a copy of the letter, so I should be looking for that really, shouldn't I?!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Polegate ??
            (north of Eastbourne on map!)
            Oh well done! (I've never heard of it!) That might be a real breakthrough!!

Thanks Elaine.

Comment

Oops, just seen something else!

On the front, what's the first rank (I'm not good with army stuff!)

L/Cpl??

Something corporal?

Comment

Oh, it's Lance isn't it!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  I've never heard of it!
                  I hadn't either Merry!
                  I just put Poligate into Multimap and up jumps Polegate!
                  Elaine

Comment

Poligate sounds like a denture fixative!

Comment

They use a lot of denture fixative in Polegate, you can't move for people on mobility scooters. (We go to Polegate station sometimes to start walks in Sussex)

Comment

lol Jill!!!

Could you look out for "The Gables"!? I see it's the name of numerous Old Peoples Homes in East Sussex!

Comment

I'll take a look next time I go that way, later this summer.

Comment

Polegate
                            was my first thought (I'm a southerner!) but I was surprised to find it doesn't even get its own page in Genuki!

It used to be in Hailsham registration district.

And I remember going through the station on my way to Eastbourne - there were quite a few little village stations on the line, with level crossings.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There were lots of Aussies there during WW1, they renamed the pub near the station The Dinkum in their honour. Only 4 places of worship so if I can't see The Gables at least I won't return empty handed.
                              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 18-05-08, 11:32. Reason: POWs, (not that I'm obsessed or anything)

Comment

Just seen this lady's website, she runs a business but as a founder member of Polegate & Willingdon Local History Society she gives a couple of email addresses that might help locate The Gables

Maureens Choice

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                  Oooh, It could be! I thought it looked like "remains", but that wouldn't make any sense as there were none.

I may actually have a copy of the letter, so I should be looking for that really, shouldn't I?!! lol
                                  How about "ribands"? On my one that's what it says mummy wrote asking for, for her late son.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                    How about "ribands"? On my one that's what it says mummy wrote asking for, for her late son.
                                    I suppose it could be UJ, but I don't think Leonard Whelan would have been entitled to much in the way of ribands .....

He's a major player in my article:

Caroline's Family History Pages - Happy Days

*blatant plug*

Comment

Thanks for your posts, Jill

Last time I contacted a family history society about a house, the person I emailed was living in the house I wanted to know about!!!

Comment

Working...
                                      X