changes of occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changes of occupation

Sometimes people aren't certain they have the right person on a census or cert because they seem to have changed occupation. How about this chap:

36/35 Staffordshire Street, Cambridge
    Jonathan Kimpton abt 1834 Cambridge Head tailor journeyman

9 Gold Street, Cambridge
    Jonathan Kimpton 38 tailor, renovator and translator

9 Gold Street, Cambridge St Andrew the Less
    Jonathan KEMPTON Head W 46 Cambridge Tailor & General Dealer

9 Gold Street, St Andrew The Less
    Jonathan Kempton 55 abt 1836 head greengrocer Cambridge

91 Fitzroy Street, Cambridge
    Jonathan Kimpton 72* abt 1829 occupation: N.K. own account
    [age does't tally with 1891 but rest of household confirms it is same chap]
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

I have one who was a Druggist at the baptism of two of his daughters and a plumber and glazier when he died about 3 or 4 years later in 1803. It is definitely the same man.

What happened in between to cause such a change in occupation?

His father-in-law, a plumber and glazier died and left everything to his two daughters. So he obviously took over the running of the business!

It had me worried for a while though.
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Little Nell your man follows a pattern that is to be expected nothing unusual there.

It seems he was born around 1835 ages in census can never be relied on as they often vary census to census.
      He would have served a seven year apprenticeship possibly shown on the 1851 census but had certainly qualified by 1861.

By his mid forties his eyes and fingers were perhaps not as bright and nimble as in the past so he looks round for something else to do. After a few attempts at various occupations he becomes a greengrocer for a few years until he retires.

Directories
      Slater 1850 page 17 –
      *Kempton John Blyth, 3 St Edwards Passage (Is this a relation or father, or is Kempton nothing to do with the name Kimpton?)

Post Office 1888, Page 49 -
      Kimpton Jonathan, greengrocer, 9 Gold Street

Kelly 1892, Page 58 -
      Kimpton Jonathan, greengrocer, 9 Gold Street

The 1916 Kelly mentions “Gold Street, 19 Fitzroy st. to East road” therefore they may be the same street.

Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I wasn't sure at first if I had the right man when I started looking for George Rowell who was a cabinet maker in 1826.
        1841 Paper Hanger
        1871 Assistant Oxford Museum, Author on Meteorology.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I have also discovered that some of my ancestors just gave as an occupation whatever they happened to be doing that day!

I have one man who is

Partner in Paper works
          Merchant
          Insurance Agent
          Oil and coal merchant
          Paper manufacturer
          Confectioner
          Gardener.

I puzzled for ages- didn't seem it could possibly be the same man. All was revealed by his obituary though.

He came from a family of paper makers. He married a confectioner's shop, lol, which also sold oil and coal and insurance. When he retired from his position on the board of the paper makers, he took up gardening and created a small park for the borough, as a gift.

I suspect that some of the information about his occupation came from the enumerator,from local knowledge, not from the man himself and was filled in at a later date.

OC

Comment

Guy

Thank you so much for that bonus information! I am sure you are right - eyesight deteriorates with age and in an age without electric light, it would have been hard to do the fine detailed work a tailor needed.

Gillian
            Did your chap live in Hoxton? It was a famed furniture-making area and many of husband's London rellies lived there as cabinet makers OR paper makers/hangers.

OC
            Husband's gt grandfather was a customs official/dock labourer/confectioner/mineral water salesman before borrowing money from his employer (R. White of R. White's lemonade & other soft drinks) to buy the Pakenham Arms in Pancras (near the old FRC).

Comment

By contrast those that were consistent

included my gt grandfather John David Robert Smoothy who was a wood turner for the same furniture manufacturer's, Culvers of Richmond, Surrey for his entire working life.

His obituary states that Culver's was closed on the day of his funeral and that all the employees as well as the employer attended.

Comment

Guy

Kimpton/Kempton seem to be interchangable in this family. I am following up the information you provided. Don't know why I didn't think of checking directories! Thank you again.

Comment

Gold Street and much of eastern Fitzroy Street were demolished in the 1980s, as part of the Grafton Shopping Centre development, which covers many of the roads which my ancestors lived in.

The road (now a walkway) where my gt grandmother was born 1843 is still there, though renamed, and there are many Victorian houses in nearby streets which give an idea of what the area looked like before redevelopment.

I know Cambridge conjures up pictures of May balls and punting on the Cam, intellectual debates with Darwin etc, but the reality for my lot is that they lived in an area rife with poverty, theft, prostitution etc, and my gt grandmother had a cousin who was hanged in 1876 in Cambridge Gaol for killing a prostitute on Midsummer Common. His execution was a week before gt gran gave birth to my grandmother in Lower Holloway, London.

Comment

Gillian
                    Did your chap live in Hoxton? It was a famed furniture-making area and many of husband's London rellies lived there as cabinet makers OR paper makers/hangers.
                    Nell - George was in Oxford. I later found he had an entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and had been removed from school aged 7 to help in the family cabinet making business. His son remained a paper hanger.
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Oh well. I'm always trying to make links!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X