Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1892 Eastbourne Gazette look up request

Hello Family History friends

I have just found this site and wonder if anyone in the Eastbourne or Lewes area of Sussex would be able to look up an old Newspaper entry for me please?

It concerns the sudden death of a relative at Eastbourne in 1892 the details are:

* Robert Hare Harris: Details from his Death Certificate.
    * 1892 Death in the Sub-district of Eastbourne in the County of Sussex
    * Death: Twenty Eighth of November 1892 8 Lascelles Terrace, Eastbourne, Sussex.
    * Robert Hare Harris: Male: 50 Years 9 Months (DOB = Feb 1842)
    * Solicitor: Haemorrhage from wound in abdomen. Suicide while of unsound mind.
    * Certificate received from George E Hillman, Coroner for Sussex. Inquest held 29th November 1892
    * Third December 1892: John Nicholls, Registrar.

I am hoping that this sad death would have been reported in the Eastbourne or Sussex newspapers such as the Eastbourne Gazette / Sussex Gazette etc. Nov / Dec 1892.

If anyone is visiting Eastbourne library shortly, or the Record Office in Lewes, and think they can help, then please will they let me know.

We know nothing about the circumstances, so any information found would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

If no one takes you up on your offer, Eastbourne Library may be willing to look for this since you have an exact death date, and send you a photocopy of any report.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Ben

The archive of the Eastbourne Gazette & Herald is held at Eastbourne Library. Here's their website -

Eastbourne Library

Hopefully they will be able to provide copies to you by post for a small fee. If they are unable to do so, then pm me and I'll see if I can get a copy for you when I next go down there in August.

The Sussex Express archive is held at the East Sussex record office in Lewes -

East Sussex Record Office

The last time I used their email/postal service, I emailed my request and they sent a quotation for the work, which I then had to send back with a cheque.

Velma

Comment

PS - ESRO hold the inquest reports, so it would be worth asking them if they hold one for Robert Hare Harris

Comment

Working...
        X