• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 help please.

I have

Emma Fielding age 22, dressmaker born Blackpool, on

RG13 Piece 137 Folio 13 P7.

She is there with hundreds of girls and I cannot get the previous pages to load, to see what the establishment is.

Please could someone look for me? Thankyou!

OC

It's a Young Women's Home - 8 Fitzroy Square.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thankyou Wendy.

I wonder if that is like the YWCA - I seem to remember there was a YWCA just off Tottenham Court Road in the 1960s.

OC

Comment

There was a YMCA on the corner of Fitzroy Square in the 1980/90s because I had lunch there when I was working for The Spastics Society, which had its Family Services section in Fitzroy Square.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It looks like it says "4/5/6 Fitzroy Square, Home for Messrs Shoolbred Employees"

Comment

Ah, thanks Nell, that answers that question then!

Funny family this - 12 children, daddy is a wealthy builder, dies in 1886. His widow is holding the fort in 1891, with all 12 children with her. By 1901, she's gor rid of ALL of them, all boarders somewhere or other and she is living in isolated splendour, describing herself as "Company Boarding House Keeper of independent means" - but she hasn't got a single lodger or boarder, lol.

OC

Comment

Ah, thanks Merry, that was the other thing I wondered, if it was a department store boarding house.

Schulbred??? Who are they then?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                It looks like it says "4/5/6 Fitzroy Square, Home for Messrs Shoolbred Employees"
                They were linendrapers.

Comment

Erm....or maybe cabinet makers. Depends what you read on google!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Ah, thanks Merry, that was the other thing I wondered, if it was a department store boarding house.

Schulbred??? Who are they then?

OC
                    It's def spelled Shoolbred, however much you don't think it should be! lol

Comment

Sorry Merry, I'm tired and remembered the name phonetically, rather than looking again at what you wrote!

I've never heard of them but they must have been quite some size, with all those employees. the only largish store I remember near Fitzroy Square was Habitat, pmsl.

OC

Comment

1901 Frederick Shoolbred aged 59 b Highgate living Hove - wife children servants, occ draper.

Comment

James Shoolbred and Company, Tottenham Court Road, was one of the first great department stores in London. Expanded from a small business in linen drapers, the firm started manufacturing furniture about 1870. Known for their high standards of quality, they were given a Royal warrant by the mid 1880s.

Of course, I knew the above (not!)

Comment

Oh dear, so Emma was making pillowcases, whilst her sister was a Court Dressmaker at Hanover Square - bet that caused a few jealous rows.

OC

Comment

I can't believe I've never heard of them, I thought I knew every department store in London, even the ones long gone!

OC

Comment

Maybe you need the 1911??

Comment

Well I'd never heard of them. To me "Tottenham Court Road" and "furniture" = Heals!
                                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Merry

No, I can wait for the 1911 - these are so NOT a direct line that I really wonder why I'm doing them, except that they have been absolute perfection to research, so very easy, that I couldn't stop!

The connection is a marriage in 1734.......I honestly have nothing better to do!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                      Well I'd never heard of them. To me "Tottenham Court Road" and "furniture" = Heals!
                                      The more I google the more I can't believe I've never heard of them!

Comment

May be they used another name for the store?

Comment

Working...
                                        X