looking for Scottish ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for Scottish ancestors

I am looking for ancestors for Angus Buchanan born abt 1806 in Benbecula Inverness and also Catherine McLellan born abt 1815-17 in North Uist, Inverness.

Thanks,
    Debbie

Debbie - where have you looked? ScotlandsPeople Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople has online access to Old Parochial Records (OPRs) prior to the start of civil registration in Scotland in 1855. These records only cover the Church of Scotland, so if they were RC or belonged to a "dissenting" Scottish church, the only records would be (hopefully) at the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh. There are some Scottish records transcribed on the IGI at default.htm .
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If either of these people got married then the place to start would be with their marriage certificates or parish register entries, in the hope that there will be some information about their parents or siblings there, otherwise if you find a baptism, how will you know if it is for the right person? Or if they died in a country where parents' names are mentioned on the death certificate, that would be somewhere else to start.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

debbie try the latter days saint site and put the info on there brenda xxx

Comment

Have a look and see if you can find them on the census - that gives you a pretty good idea who was in the family.

Check out the LDS as this narrows down any searches on scotlandspeople and saves money. Haven't looked at scotsorigins for awhile but you used to be able to search the LDS by county and place (same info as LDS)

I've resorted to looking for marriage and death certificates after 1855 as Scottish certificates give the parents names including maiden name (usually except in the case of the John's I'm after - never known so many Johns without parents!!).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Debbie

I'm assuming this is Angus and wife Catherine and family on the 1851 census:

Civil Parish: South Uist
            Town: Torlum Benbecula
            County: Inverness
            Address: Torlum

Household members consist of:
            Alexander Buchanan age 3
            Angus Buchananm,age 45, head, b: Benbecula, Inverness
            Catharine Buchanan age 36, wife, b: North Uist, Inverness
            Christy Buchanan age 1 Mo
            Donald Buchanan age 12
            John Buchanan age 14
            John Buchanan age 8
            Mary Buchanan age 10
            Peggy Buchanan age 6

As has been pointed out...deaths in Scotland since Statutory registration began (1855) contain information on parents (if the informant knew it of course!). If you can determine they lived past 1855 (quickest to check the 1861 census for them) then next would be to have a search on Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople for the deaths of Angus and Catharine. Also children's birth certificates in the one year of 1855 and then all years since 1861 will also give you the date and place of their parents marriage. It's not unusual to find Scottish families adhering to a naming pattern which can further assist you in determining ancestors names.

Best wishes
            Jean

Comment

I guess Debbie isn't geared up for our high-speed service!
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Can I (very strongly) suggest that you get in touch with Bill Lawson: Introduction to Seallam Visitor Centre, Isle of Harris

He knows all there is to know about the families of the Western Isles. He has interviewed virtually every old person in the islands who could tell him anything about anyone. And he's researched every family that he has been able to find. Quite a claim - but true!
                Kind regards,
                William
                Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thanks for that William - Wonder if he knows about my McGilthighnich or Shaw family from Islay and Bute.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee,
                    As far as I'm aware, he's concentrated on the Outer Hebrides but not the Inner...sorry.
                    Kind regards,
                    William
                    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

What a shame I'm having great difficulty with this lot. Oh well!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X