Vaccination 1903

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccination 1903

According to Herbert Vincent Shipleys Police career records (Birmingham) he had a vaccination on 27 Feb 1903.

Can anyone tell me what vaccinations where around back then please?

Sylvia
    Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 16-05-08, 09:22.
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

smallpox, and I think it was compulsory.
    Vicky

Comment

Agree with Vicky - Smallpox.

Not sure if it was actually COMPULSORY, but there was a very vigorous programme and most people would be "persuaded" by their employers to have the vaccination - may even have been a condition of service in the police, armed forces, etc.

OC

Comment

fairly sure it was mandatory for anyone joining the services/police.

They did try to have everyone vaccinated as children. So you would have to have it done as a condition of entry to the services if you hadn't been done as a child.
        Vicky

Comment

Thank you Vicky and OC, i guess it would be a good idea for someone dealing with the public, he had 8 days off because of it.

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Oh yes, definitely - and quite a lot earlier - cant remember the date now but in the book - village account - which includes my Horstead family, one lady is distraught because she says Queen Victoria is going to kill all the children. It turned out that innoculations had been recommended for all the children against smallpox.

Comment

Thanks for your input Heather

Sylvia
              Sylvia

Comment

Compulsory vaccination started in 1854, but many severe outbreaks of smallpox followed which indicated that the law was not working properly and it was strengthened on a couple of occasions.
                The Vaccine Guide: Risks and ... - Google Book Search
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you Phil, that was interesting, lets hope there is not another epidemic or no one uses it as a weapon.

Sylvia
                  Sylvia

Comment

I thought the World Health Organisation has officially declared Smallpox extinct?

OC

Comment

I have a death cert for a child of 5, 1849 cause of death "smallpox (never vaccinated)".

Smallpox was declared extinct in 1980 and the WHO recommended vaccination programmes cease.

Of course and evil megalomaniac could probably get a mad scientist to recreate the smallpox DNA but that sounds more like a Dr Who plot.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                        I have a death cert for a child of 5, 1849 cause of death "smallpox (never vaccinated)".
                        I've a death cetificate from 1871 for a 5 year old that states the same.
                        I've also one in 1884 for a 13 day old baby from Variola which is Smallpox. The babies mother had died only days before from Confluent Smallpox which is where the spots run together.

I still have my smallpox vaccination certificate too, just in case you know:D
                        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
                          I still have my smallpox vaccination certificate too, just in case you know:D
                          Isn't the smallpox vaccination the one that leaves an indented area on your upper arm? I've got one of them.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I thought that was a BCG for TB?

Comment

Dunno.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

BCG against TB leaves an indent scar but smallpox leaves a faint flat scar. Mines about the size of my little finger nail.
                                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Huh, I've still got the six needle mark from the diphtheria jab!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                    Isn't the smallpox vaccination the one that leaves an indented area on your upper arm? I've got one of them.
                                    I have the small circular fully indented scar and also a fainter flatter scar (difficult to see infact) on my arm and I had both small pox and BCG vaccinations.

OH only has the fainter flatter scar and he didn't have small pox but did have the BCG.

Last week at my occupational health check (had to have that before I start my job) I was asked about vaccination against TB and was questioned about the date I put down.

I had it done in Scotland as a baby and not at 15yrs when all my friends were done down here. I don't know if she didn't believe me but she asked to see my scar and I said certainly and lifted my short sleeve out of the way and she pointed to the faint flat scar and said Oh yes there it is.

Just had another look at OH's and also two eldest sons, OH's definitely doesnt show any indentation but both sons look as though they have had the lid of a felt tip top pressed againt their arms.
                                    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

The Royal College of Surgeons museum in Lincolns Inn Fields, London has some Victorian samples of smallpox affected skin preserved in formaldehyde on display (and other medical specimens, not for the fainthearted)

Comment

Well I have a BCG scar, but nothing else. No idea if I was innoculated against smallpox.
                                        I DO remember having a double jab for diphtheria and whooping cough and having the rather more pleasant sugar cube with polio vaccine in it to follow.

Comment

Working...
                                        X