Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone going/can get into these University Libraries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone going/can get into these University Libraries?

Found a book on google book search which mentions my 4 great grandfather George Alfred Hodson and appears to have some information I've never seen before.

Unfortunately it's only showing snippets of the book and cuts off after about two sentences.

The other thing making intriguing me is that it says he was an English songwriter whereas all my other evidence shows him to be Irish, Grrrrrr!!

Google books tells me it's held at the following Libraries:

British Library in Wetherby (??)

University Libraries:

Cambridge
    Glasgow
    Queen's Belfast
    Leicester
    Leeds
    London
    Nottingham
    Oxford
    Bangor

Westminster Library

If anyone uses one of these and can copy the page(s) for me I'd be very grateful.

It is possible I could get to Westminster but I'd have to take a day off work and I don't think that's going to be possible until end of June!!

The book I'm after is this one:

The Science of Music in Britain, 1714-1830 : a catalogue of writings, lectures, and inventions
    by Jamie Croy Kassler

and George appears on page 518.

Thanks in advance

Z
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Zoe

You should be able to get photocopies of the pages you want from your local library via the inter-library lending system. It would cost a small amount.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

oooooh - how do I do that then?

Do I just give them the isbn number and the pages I need?
      Zoe in London

Comment

Go to your library and tell them what you want. They will order a photocopy from the British Library in Boston Spa (Wetherby). They will fill in a form and the ISBN and page numbers will help.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

yaaaaaaaay

Thank you Nell

Now if only I hadn't swapped my night shift for a day shift tomorrow I could go and do it in the morning.
          Zoe in London

Comment

See if you can find a member posting from the US, and ask them to try the link. Sometimes they get the full view when we only get snippets.

Comment

I'm just being nosy here as I don't go to any of those libraries, but it seems as though that entry on page 518 starts:

HODSON, George Alexander (d.l863). INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PIANOFORTE WITH PROGRESSIVE LESSONS. Dublin: Published by the author, Dublin Musical Repository l08 Graf- ton Street, (c.l830). Source: DUBLIN LITERARY GAZETTE (l830): advertisements for June (p. 4ll). GA Hodson was an English song writer, who was active in Dublin between...

So is this your George or a different one?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

(cont)

............between 1815 - 1831. He was music director of the Crow Street theatre until it closed in 1820, and in 1822 he was described as a teacher of singing in Dame Street. In 1825 he succeeded Jonathan Blewitt as organist of St. Andrew's Church, and from 1827.................

Then you need to google "St. Andrew's Church, and from 1827" and it will give you the next bit! lol
                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-05-08, 11:00. Reason: corrected punctuation!

Comment

Oh well done, Merry. I got stuck at "between"!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

I've often tried that trick, but it rarely works - they must have fixed their program somehow to prevent you from doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post

So is this your George or a different one?

Definitely my George, Kate

I have him in Dublin directories at 108 Grafton Street.

So........... The bit that has me stumped is this

GA Hodson was an English song writer, who was active in Dublin between...
                      would you read that as he was English and he was a songwriter OR he wrote songs in English???
                      Zoe in London

Comment

Oh dear! Maybe you and I have done it too many times, Mary!!

(cont)

.....from 1827-1831 he had a music selling and publishing business at 108 Grafton Street

(It won't let me have any more! I blame Mary!!! lol)
                        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-05-08, 11:49.

Comment

Do you think they're onto us? They probably have our IP numbers blacklisted by now

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            Do you think they're onto us? They probably have our IP numbers blacklisted by now
                            I think you are right!! lol

Comment

If they give him the wrong middle name, then I would think it's quite likely they got the "English" bit wrong too.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

I can't blame them for that - most of the time he couldn't decide what he wanted to be called.

Alexander and Alfred are interchangeable.

I have suspicions that he was never actually given either of them by his parents - but as yet I've not been able to locate a baptism for him so I don't know for sure.
                                Zoe in London

Comment

Can you not email the librarian direct, Zoe? I did that for an extract I found on Google Book search....the librarian in Melbourne was most helpful and posted me a photocopy free of charge.

Beverley

Comment

Georgia Hodson?

Zoe,
                                    I tried looking for George Alfred Hodson on the LiveSearch Books site at Live Search and found just one reference in a biography of his daughter Georgia. It's page 178 of History of the American Stage, and the full book is available on the site.

Thought I'd mention it in case you've not seen it.

Comment

Hughar

That's a brilliant resource

I've found a couple more for him as plain old George Hodson

Thank you

Zoe
                                      Zoe in London

Comment

Oooh, I've not used that LIve Books before, it's FAB!! I've just found a book detailing a completely fabricated tree about my rellies! I know it's wrong (much grander than the truth), but it's still great!

Comment

Working...
                                        X