Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Susan Annells

Hi everyone

I am a complete newbie to this site. After posting an query/problem on another site and totally confusing everybody and getting no nearer to an answer, it was suggested by an existing member that I give this site a try, as many people here like a challenge!! I hope this is true.

My problem is that I have a person who I cannot find prior to 1871 and I cannot find a (possible) marriage. Her name is Susan Annells.

She appears as a lodger in 1871, living with Levi Dunford (a widower twice over) in Southampton (on Ancestry she is transcribed as Annabs). She is shown as 23yrs and her place of birth looks like Sulton, Hampshire (?) July 1871 she gives birth to Eli William Annells, although no father is shown, I am positive Levi (often confused with Eli), is the father - Susan is shown as dependant on friends. Upon Eli’s death in Dec 1874 his death cert shows him as William Dunford (not Eli William Annells) and she is Susan Dunford. Subsequent children born to Susan and Levi are all Dunford’s.

In the 1881 census her place of birth is Southampton, 1891 Winchester and 1901 Sutton, Surrey.

In the 1891 census one of her daughters, Nellie, is shown staying a few doors away with Harriet Annalls and is listed as granddaughter (Levi and Susan are shown as Danford). At the same address is an Elizabeth Annalls 29yrs, shown as daughter to Harriett (Elizabeth is the birth informant for Levi and Susan’s youngest daughter); I assume these are Susan’s mother and sister, but even with this information have been unable to find a suitable match in censuses prior to 1871. I have even tried to find Elizabeth's birth around 1861/62 to no avail. I have found a death certificate for a Harriet Annells in 1896 she is shown as widow of William Annells, she is in turn buried in the same plot as a 44yr old William who died in 1891. This info would fit with an 1881 census entry, surname given as Anell, which shows Harriet living with William 34 (son) and Mary 25 (daughter). So it would seem Susan’s mother is Harriet, father William with siblings William, Elizabeth and Mary, but I have no definite proof.

As to a marriage between Susan and Levi I have found nothing in the GRO indexes, parish records or marriage licence books at the local archives.

The 1891 census has the surname as Danford and Levi is shown as Ellie! they are living at 1 Brewhouse Lane, Holy Rood. Harriet & Co are shown at 6 Goaters Alley (Ancestry has their surname as Annello). Susan and Levi die in 1926 & 1910 respectively and are buried together.

My nan who is in her 90's is convinced they were married and is upset to think they may not have been, so I can't probe too deeply with her and as she would have been only 9 when Susan died, alot of her memories would have been via her mother. I have a gut instinct that they didn't marry and Susan assumed Levi's name (I haven't even been able to find all the birth/baptism records for their kids either, but that's a different story!).

I would just love to find something of her prior to 1871. From the info I have gathered about Harriet, I am sure I have the connection between Susan and Harriet but no definite paper proof!

I hope the above makes sense and that somebody may be able to help me. Sorry that this is such an essay.

Thank you
    Terri

how have you connected that death cert as beng your man - or am i being dumb and missing something? William Dunford (not Eli William Annells)
    Jess

Comment

Hallo Terri and welcome to the site.

I will have a look for you - don't worry if I don't reply for a bit, there's a lot of info you've given I need to digest.

BTW I have the same problem with a relly in my tree who seems to be living with a chap, has a baby that is probably his (tho no father's name on birth cert) and then has another child born with her surname but died and registered on death cert as child of father she now appears married to, though no sign of a marriage.

But she helpfully disappears completely after 1871!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Jess

Unless I've misread it, I think William is the infant child (son of Susan and purportedly of Levi/Eli).

Comment

there is a submitted marriage for susan & Eli - on IGI -1873. southampton

prob as much good as chocolate fireguard.

gOT TIRED EYES, WILL LOOK AGAIN IN THE MORNING

(IT WILL all be done & dusted by then!)
          Jess

Comment

Hi Jess

No you are not being dumb, I just have so many 'bits' of info I tried to include as much as I could - but it does appear confusing.

On William Dunford's (aka Eli William Annells) death cert, Susan Dunford is the informant and William is shown as son of Eli Dunford. He is buried with his brother George, who died in 1874 aged 2yrs and on George's death cert the informant is Elizabeth Annells and he is the son of Eli Dunford.

I hope this makes sense.

Terri

Comment

Jess

Unfortunately the info on IGI cannot be backed up by the GRO indexes.

Chocolate fireguard is so true.

Terri

Comment

This is what Jess found

Eli Dunford
                Birth: < 1848> <Southampton,Hants, , , England>

Spouse: Susan Annells
                Marriage: < 1873> <Southampton,Hants, , , England>
                Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church.

Click on Susan's name and it gives suggested birthdate of 1852.

The submitter may have invented this, or may have been going on census ages OR has actually seen a marriage cert and has ages off that - but I think it unlikely as it doesn't given exact date or parish.

Comment

Possibly Harriet in 1851 (year before Susan's birth) It would appear that Susan might have been illegitimate, which might explain why you can't find her.

HO107; Piece: 1676; Folio: 303; Page: 4;

Comment

What we really need to do is find the Annells family in 1861 and / or 1851, isn't it? To see if Susan is with them?

I always find that it helps to have everybody's birthplace etc from the census(es) that they have already been found on, so this is Harriet etc from the 1881 Southampton entry which you have already found:
                    Harriet Anell Head W 54 Laundress Hants Hunlow(?)
                    William Do Son Unm 34 Labourer in Docks Do Southampton
                    Mary Do Daur Unm 25 General Servt Do Do

I couldn't find them in 1891 yet despite all your info...
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Nell, in 1851 Harriet should have a 4 yr old son William born Southampton with her, but the grandson in the house in that 1851 entry is called John. I suppose he might go by both names though....
                      KiteRunner

Comment

... but anyway, that Harriet who Nell found in 1851 is still with her parents in 1861 and there are no children with them so she is probably the wrong Harriet. Bother!
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Double bother! And I thought Annall/ell was an unusual name!

Comment

Oh, I can't find Harriet and either William on any census at all except 1881. I'll have to give up for tonight and try again tomorrow!
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, but just before I do give up for the night, a couple of "extracted" baptisms from the IGI (so they should be genuine ones):

William Annals baptised 9 Apr 1848 Weeke near Winchester, Hampshire, parents William Annals and Harriet.

James Annals baptised 4 Aug 1852 Saint Maurice, Winchester, Hampshire, Parents William Annals and Harriet.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Can someone look at this for 1861 please

RG9 Piece 679 Folio 34 Page 10

Its a William and Harriet Henell with various children and they're living at Goaters Alley (the road was mentioned earlier) Southampton

Jackie
                                Jackie

Comment

Harriet's here in 1891:

Class: RG12; Piece: 917; Folio 59; Page 13

The granddaughter's name looks like Millie, not Nellie.

Comment

Brilliant, Jackie.

That's the same Harriet (born Hunton) who's on the 1891 census with Millie or Nellie, and she has a daughter Susan with her born c. 1848 and Elizabeth c 1861 among others.
                                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 16-05-08, 02:08.

Comment

Annoyingly Ancestry isn't letting me see images at the moment for some reason.

This may be the same family in 1851 (Hannell)

HO107 piece 1674 folio 216 page 30

Jackie
                                      Jackie

Comment

It's been entered very oddly by the enumerator, but I think you've found the right family.

William Hannell, head, 60, pensioner, Arundel, Sussex
                                        Ht H, wife, 30, Hunton, Hants
                                        W H, lodger's son, 4, do.
                                        S H, do. daughter, 3, Winton, do.
                                        Char.e (Charlotte?) Bradley, lodger, 21, charwoman
                                        Ele. B, do. daughter, 3
                                        Mortimer Burgess, visitor, 3

The family appear to be living at the same address as the previous family (25 Lower Bk St., head Elizabeth Eiles), although it isn't clear, so maybe they were lodgers there.

I assume Ht, W and S are Harriet, William and Susan.

Comment

Working...
                                        X