Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arlott from Ireland

My gg grandmother Elizabeth Arlott was born in Meath County Ireland in
    1855. Her father was Charles Arlott. I can't find an Irish records to go back any farther. I have located her in the 81, 91, 01 census, but I don't know when she came to England. Can anyone help?

The problem is that Ireland was considered to be part of the UK, so no passengers' records were kept of travel from Ireland to England.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I suppose by default you could argue that she came before 1881 and possibly after 1871 if you can't find her on 1871 census.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

a lot that came from ireland came to liverpool docks trevor ancesters came from there when the potato famine was on.i think there is a site debbie lok on the wiki thread brenda xxx

Comment

Meath parish records will eventually be available here, but they aren't online yet:

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

Comment

There's a list of Co. Meath resources here, but there's virtually nothing online.

Irish Ancestors /Co. Meath

Comment

Have you tried Griffiths Valuation which is available at a reasonable price on Irish Origins. Full Griffiths is better than the Index though you may like to start with Index but you get more info on the fuller version. For the Index just google Griffiths Valuation +County Meath and input your names of interest in search box. A name like Arlott is a lot esaier to find than Murphy!!

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 16-05-08, 18:55.

Comment

Don't forget to check Scotland just in case. Hubby's ancestors went to Glasgow from Ireland.
                Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I've never tried the Griffiths full index so far because there are just too many Kellys and Cassidys :(

Comment

Mary,

As long as you know which county your Kellys and Cassidys are from then it is worth a try, but I agree there are rather a lot of those names in Ireland so I wouldn't like to try Kelly/Cassidy and just Ireland! A name like Arlott is worth trying to see how many there are all over Ireland and if you know its Meath then that's even better. Of course there may be more than I think! I have a Martley/Markley which is fairly unusual so I have tried many areas on Griffiths and mapped out where they are.

Janet

Comment

Yes, at least I know the county, which is something (thank goodness for Australian certs).

I've got back to 1836 with the Cassidys in Drogheda using the RC records filmed by the LDS, but I have no idea whereabouts in King's County my Denis Kelly came from or who his parents were, so that's probably a non-starter.
                      One of the Cassidys married a Gregory, which is a bit more unusual, so that may help. Unfortunately the Drogheda PRs are in very poor condition.

Comment

Mary,

Don't give up on Kelly in Kings County. KC is not one of the bigger Irish counties and it is worth doing a mapping exercise of Kelly families in that area to see how many there are from the Griffiths and you could do that from the Index. Also Dennis is not quite as popular as Michael, Thomas, Patrick so you never know until you have a go! However, it does depend which year you are talking about. If it is around 1845 to 1860ish then Griiffiths Index will help but if it is after 1900 the the census of 1901 and 1911 wil help, just have to patiently wait for 2,3,5 years until they come online for free digitised but the Irish are not exactly quick off the mark in these areas! Only Dublin is available at present and i am waiting patiently for Kings to see where my family are and the ages of children so I can get some certs but it does seem like an eternity to wait.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                        X