Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 15th May 2008 is.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA? 15th May 2008 is.......

It_Is_I_Leclerc

Well done!!!

Well Done

Fire away with your brick walls

Comment

Well done and I hope your walls come tumbling down..

]

Comment

Congratulations hope you get some of your brick wall or mysteries solved ;;
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thanks for the opportunity, just come in from work, give me 10 mins to get my cuppa and find my bits of paperwork, and then I'll be back.

L

Right here we go. Looking for Schofield & Sutcliffe families.

25/11/1838 Oldham Parish Church maariage of

William Schofield Full Age Bachelor Labourer Address Oldham Father John Schofield
          Sarah Ann Sutcliffe Full Age Spinster No Occ. Address Oldham Father Dead

1841 Census H0107/0548/13/F3/P30
          Downing St Royton Oldham

William Schofield 25 Cotton Weaver Born in County
          Sarah Schofield 20 Cotton Weaver Born in County

1851 Census H0107/2243/F257/P14

Name Age Rel. Occ. Born
          Sally Scholes 64 Head ? Chadderton
          Richard Scholes 30 Son Cotton Weaver Royton
          Ellen Scholes 27 Dau do do
          Ann Scholes 25 Dua Cotton Winder do
          William Schofield 34 Son Cotton Weaver do
          Sarah Schofield 30 Sons Wife do do
          Elizabeth Schofield 7 G Dau N/A Oldham

I have full traceabilty of the Schofields from these dates forward, but the questions I now ask (bearing in mind I only got the MC today) is

1) We have John Schofield as Williams father, when was he born & where and when/when did he die?
          2) When did he marry Sally?
          3) Who was Sally prior to marriage
          4) When did she marry again.
          5) Who was Sarah 's family.

Thats my starter I'll start on the others shortly, and many thanks in advance to all who try/contribute to this.

L
          Last edited by It_Is_I_Leclerc; 16-05-08, 14:49.

Comment

There's a baptism on the IGI for Richard Scholes in 1822 at Royton showing his parents as John Scholes and Sally. (I excpet there are baps for some/all of the otehr Scholes - I haven't looked)

This looks like their marriage. Sally is a diminutive of Sarah:

JOHN SCHOLES
            Marriages:
            Spouse: SARAH SCHOFIELD
            Marriage: 19 MAY 1817 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England
            Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

Comment

John Scholes was still alive in 1841:

HO107; Piece 548; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Prestwich Cum Oldham; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 30; Page: 16; Line 3

They are transcribed as Schoker on Ancestry!

Comment

It's not going to be so easy to find the first marriage of Sally/Sarah to john Schofield as we can't be certain when/where they married and don't know her maiden name....

Comment

Thanks Merry

I'd seen that marriage but I must admit I'd dismissed it because of the Sarah, I'll need to try to find a John Schofield / Sarah marriage rather than a JS/Sally one now. For long enough I'd thought that the Scholes was a miss spelling of Schofield, however after finally getting the MC for William, it now does definately appear that Sally/Sarah has been married twice Schofield/Scholes

L

Comment

There are some baps for the children of John and Sally Schofield in Royton on the IGI (some of them very odd names!) but I can't see William.

I have to go out now.............

Comment

Originally posted by It_Is_I_Leclerc View Post
                      Thanks Merry

I'd seen that marriage but I must admit I'd dismissed it because of the Sarah,

L

My first name is Sarah. When I was born my grandfather asked what I would be called and when told said, "Oh, never mind, I suppose you could call her Sally"

Comment

Having another look on the IGI, there are a number of John Schofield marriages in Oldham to any number of Sally's and Sarah's, without knowing what her maiden name was I appear stumped.
                        No luck on the OPC's neither for the marriage, baptism of William or John's death.

I have found what seems to be Sarah Ann's baptism
                        09/11/1817 St Mary's Oldham
                        father Ged Sutliffe
                        mother Fanny,
                        a least I can get on following that up.

My 2nd problem is
                        John Ellison born abt 1807 in Hawarden in Flintshire he married Catherine ?? abt 1829, she is on the 1841 census in Little Neston Cheshire with the children but he isn’t.
                        He remarried Bridget Lewis in OND 1850, after her first husband died in Ness Colliery in 1838.
                        John and Bridget were not living together in the 1851 census, he was with his children in Little Neston but described as married, and she was with her children in Ness, but she was also described as married, and listed as Bridget Ellison.
                        The wall is I can’t find John or Bridget after 1851
                        Last edited by It_Is_I_Leclerc; 16-05-08, 18:21.

Comment

Have you checked out this death?

Deaths Sep 1851
                          ELLISON John Wirral 19 236

Comment

Catherine ELLISON burial

Could this be the burial record for Catherine ELLISON:

23 Dec 1849 Neston aged 45

From CPRdb - Version v3.3 - 7 March 2005
                            CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
                            DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
                            HRT: Gurney
                            HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
                            LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
                            NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
                            YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Comment

Children's Baptisms

The baptisms of children of John and Catherine are also on the site with full details from the parish register:

John 1833 died 1833
                              John 1835
                              Sarah 1840
                              Peter 1843
                              Kate 1848

Jean
                              CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
                              LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)

Comment

Marriage of John and Bridget

Cheshire Births Marriages & Deaths shows that they married at Birkenhead St Mary and that Bridget's maiden name was STANLEY.

Jean

Comment

You don't have Catherine Ellison's maiden name. This birth cert should tell you:

Births Sep 1843
                                  ELLISON Peter Wirral 19 309

Comment

Originally posted by JDGen View Post
                                    Cheshire Births Marriages & Deaths shows that they married at Birkenhead St Mary and that Bridget's maiden name was STANLEY.

Jean
                                    I thought her previous name was supposed to be Lewis?

UPDATE: Oh I get it....Cheshire BMD has two entries for her....one Lewis and the other Stanley. That's very useful. I don't have any relatives from places that have online indexes, so I'm not used to them!
                                    Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-05-08, 20:49.

Comment

Hi Merry,

It shows 2 surname for her, LEWIS and STANLEY - I presumed that she was a widow named LEWIS when they married. (never presume! )

Jean

Comment

Pity I can't find a marriage for Bridget Stanley to Mr Lewis :(

Comment

Working...
                                        X