Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding marriage please

At least I hope they married!!

I have a Margaret Cooper b. 1869 Barking Essex. I have her birth cert which in fact shows her born in Plaistow, her mother was Margaret Cooper formerly Campbell. Margaret Campbell gives her birth as Edinburgh 1848 on the census.

The trouble is the father of Margaret Cooper jnr was William George Cooper, born Arlsey Beds, but he had a brother called George William born 2 years apart, & they seem to have each used their middle names at some point! :(

William was born 1843 George in 1845.

I have trawled through Ancestry, each page of Campbells & Coopers from 1862 until 1871 & not one had the same District and page & vol no. !

Do this mean they were never married but she just put formerly on the birth cert anyway?

For ref this is them in 1881 :

Class: RG11; Piece: 849; Folio: 43; Page: 30; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341201.

A very confused Joan
    Last edited by Joan of Archives; 14-05-08, 21:14.

Joanie

Perhaps they married in Scotland.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The nearest marriage on scotlands people between 1860-1880 is
      1865COOPERWILLIAMCAMPBELLELIZABETHOCHILTREE/AYR609/00 0003
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Or the marriage certificate copy never got to the GRO. I haven't found a marriage between my gt grandmother & her 2nd husband, though I am fairly sure they would have married.
        You could try contacting the register office for the area in which the eldest child was born to see if they have a record.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

I am certain she was Margaret not Elizabeth. I do know William's parents names Jean, does it say who they were on that record?

I didn't know you could do that Nell. Will they look if I write to them? I am not 100% sure where the eldest was born, it only says Surrey on one census, & I think it was Bermondsey on the other!

Joanie

Comment

Well I don't know if they will, it depends on which register office and whether the person you contact is feeling helpful or not.

Some register offices have searchable online indexes. Others (often London ones) are unhelpful and don't issue certs for genealogy purposes. (including the one where I think my gt grandmother married).

Worth checking out the website (most Reg offices have one) to see what it says. Some welcome e-mail queries.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell!! I may well have to try that then.

Joanie

Comment

Sorry Joan, only have a couple of credits left so I can search but not view
                Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Working...
                X