American marriage certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American marriage certificate

Does anyone know anything about American marriage certs?

I want to order the marriage certificate for:
    Rosina Smith / William Shearly
    Marriage 12 May 1875 Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
    (taken from the IGI)

Any ideas what information it will give?

Found this website
    MDCH - Certified Copies
    cost 44.50$ - does that sound reasonable?
    Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Really don't know much about American certificates, only ever seen one(my daughters) and there's loads of info on that including my d.o.b

If you could give me a couple of day I would be more than happy to pop to the local LDS center, I'm sure they should be able to fill me in on more info.

According to the goverment site the certificates only cost $26 but it seems that marriages before 1926 were not always filed with the state.

N C H S - Where to Write for Vital Records - Michigan
    Fiona. xx

Comment

I think it should be possible to get them through the LDS for $2 - I'll see what I can find.

Comment

Fiona - I think the site I was looking at was for ordering on line.
        The site you have given is for postal applications - certainly cheaper!

However, I like Mary's suggestion of one from the LDS! Cheaper still.

Really all I need to know is whether the father, or parents, of the bride will be named. I know who William Shearly is. All I know about Rosina is that she claims to have been born in Whitechapel (Middlesex) about 1858 - and of course with a name like Smith it's difficult to be sure I have the right one.
        Elaine

Comment

I've never tried the LDS route myself, but I subscribe to the Rootsweb NYC mailing list, and everyone on there seems to get American certs that way. No idea if it would work for English ones.

Comment

Hi Elaine, well I live just outside of Detroit so if there's anything I can do just shout. Not too sure on the American side of things but I'm sure I'd be able to ask someone.
            Fiona. xx

Comment

I would be very interested to know the answer to this one as I have marriage and birth certs I would be interested in purchasing through Albany New York State, but understand that most Certs for this state are not available before 1875 and most certs I want are between 1855 and 1875! It is, I gather a state initiative, and so it is pot luck whether or not the state you are interested in has the BMD for the years you want?

Janet

Comment

Sorry, Janet, I sent the link direct to Elaine last night while FTF was down. Here it is:

RootsWeb: NYC-ROOTS-L Archives (April 2006)

Have a look at the messages about applying for certs through the LDS.

Comment

Mary

Thanks for the link. I have made a note and will look later.

Janet

Comment

American marriage certificate

I was married in the US (twice now. And was just making copies for my kids family album tree.

My 1st. marriage was in Maine and the 2nd (and last) was in North Carolina.

Now, the one from Maine reads as follows
                    State of Maine
                    Department of Human Services
                    License and Certificate of MARRIAGE

Then is goes
                    GROOM-full name, followed by current address, place where you were born (in my ex's case, Lincoln, Nebraska)
                    Next line is the Father's full name and place of birth. On the same line is the mother's full name (actually just her maiden name and not her married. In this case Robin-Ann Brydone-Jack) and place of birth
                    The bride then fills in all her info. It also tells you where the marriage took place, in case it's another county and who married you.

My North Carolina one is different--- because they never gave me the license, only the certificate at the marriage. It states who married us, who stood up for us and our names. Hmm, weird.
                    I'll ask my husband about that, but I'm pretty sure we also had to put the father's name and place of birth as well as the mother's maiden name and place of birth.

Gee, that is really weird now that I think it. I'm gonna have to trot myself down to the county clerk and get that one so years from now some great, great grandchild of mine isn't in your place now.

Anyway, What I am getting it, is I think every state in the US has it's own way of doing things. Like in Vegas, where you can marry in a heart beat. I'll look around for you and see if I can't come up with whom your looking for. Just send me a private message and I'll see what I can find on this side of the pond. Good luck, Lisa

Comment

Don't know if this is of any help, never bought one from USA but bought a Canadian one from Quebec the marriage certificate only had their names and the date they were married. Had then to buy the Act of Marriage for more information it had parents and witnesses names.

Comment

Hi, I have the marriage cert from the national archives in their divorce papers, just has where when and witness but does not state their relationships, found mother and father on family search pilot cheers Bel

Comment

Working...
                        X