Victorian Photo Dating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian Photo Dating

Apologies to post yet more photos, but am currently re going through my great grandmothers photo collection. I was lucky she left very many, and we have identified about 90%, but there's still a few we can't place.

This particular pair of photos were obviously taken together and look Victorian to me, brother and sister? Great Gran was born 1906, at first I thought it was her father b.1879, but both his sisters died when he was a baby, so can't be I don't think. I am now wondering whether this mightn't actually be great grans grandfather Charles b.1849 as he had a sister Elizabeth b.1855. Could this photograph possibly date from late 1860's, early 1870's?, or am I way off?:

Opinions much appreciated.

Richard they could be, I need to look a bit more as there is not alot to go on, if Don is about his opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thanks Barbara

I have been going through all the photos, on this site

Victorian Photos

I'm getting more confident I am right, the clothes seems to get much more ornate especially collars for women post 1878, the plain clothes, and brooch around the neck, I have only found matching examples between 1864-72, some of the hair styles of the men late 1860's and jackets match him quite well too.

I'm actually wondering whether they are even earlier, as her harsh hair parting seems to be in fashion, perhaps aping by the queen, as early as 1861:

1860s Fashion

I'd certainly appreciate Don.t's input too as he seems so knowledgeable in this area.

Comment

Hmmm..the girl, her hair is almost identical to that of the top right photograph "mid to late 1860's"

hairstyles

Comment

The thing is, I wish there was more of that chaps jacket on view as it looks a bit 1890s.:o

Comment

I just wonder if her hair style is a little too severe to be 1860s

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I've been googling around this morning and here's what I meant about it looking 'severe'
              Pulled straight back from the ears

scroll down to Mrs Eliza Martin (c 1882)
              Dating Photos

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Looking again in close up, it seems as though her jacket/bodice fastens on the wrong side .... left over right instead of right over left ....

Apologies ! I have developed a bit of a 'thing' about the way things fasten.

Comment

Rachel what I did notice though is the collars on that lady, like most I viewed post sort of 1878 they seem much more ornate 'ruffled' if you know what I mean. I am keeping an open mind in any case, I suppose could well be 1880's or 90's, if I'm brutally honest I have no idea who these people are. The man does somewhat resemble my great grans father (especialy the ear shape)..just he didn't have a sister, so if it is him rather than his father and dates from his adolescence 1890's left wondering who she is.

I'd also be interested in any thoughts on ages of the pair, never know it might just help.

Comment

Re the girls hair being too harsh, I had another look on this site:

Victorian and Edwardian Photographs of Ladies

Went through all years, and every girl in the photos between 1864-66 below seem to have this style, it never seems to reappear in a big way afterwards, only could find one or two examples, and neither were on younger girls.

1860s Fashion
                    1860s Fashion
                    1860s Fashion

What do you think?

Comment

The more I look the more I think they are later rather than earlier, also are the photos thin? that will certainly make them more likely to be late.

Comment

Hi Richard
                        Difficult to tell, but what I mean is that although the hair is parted in the centre and 'sensible' (no flamboyant bits) the earlier ones are softer before the the hair is pulled back behind the ears .... not sure if I'm explaining this very well

Your young lady's hair is pulled back tightly as in the pic of Mrs Eliza Martin

It could, of course, be of no consequence

One on here (Elizabeth Jean Glover) has a similar feel to it .... can you tell I'm really enjoying this !!!

Dating Photos

scroll to bottom of page

Comment

hello Barbara
                          Was about to come looking for you

Comment

Hi Rachel just thought I'd pop on for 10 mins whilst I can.....:D

Comment

Hi Rachel, yes I see what you mean. That photo is mid 70's. A thought occurs to me, there's no way this is my great grans dad. That would make it 1890's, but he had no sister and this is not his wife, so maybe I can rule him out. It must then be his father, now he was married in 1873,so I'm wondering if this is a husband and wife pair of portraits they had taken around the time they married. The only problem with that is they were both 24 then. They look younger to me, teens.

Assuming then I'm right in the earlier dating and the photo was taken 1863-8, that would be okay for him, he'd be 14-19, fits what I personally think the age of the male looks. But his sister was 6 years younger, she'd be 8-13, and that doesn't fit does it.

Glad someone is enjoying it anyway Rachel, I'm just sitting here wishing they'd had the foresight to write names and dates on the back!! Woule have made life so much easier eh!

Barbara the photos are thin yes, but from what I gather the hard card ones came in much later 1880's and 1890's?
                              Last edited by Richard; 15-05-08, 16:41.

Comment

Sorry was looking at wrong woman. Eliza Martin does have a similar hair style but looks a bit older to me, and the clothing style seems very different, typical 1880's collar.

Comment

Oooo .... I knew it reminded me of something
                                  There was one on the photo restore thread abt 6 months ago

Comment

There is a similarity isn't there. Did that photo have a date?

Comment

Richard sorry I didn't explain myself clearly, I just meant it was a more "modern" type of photo.

Comment

:o Richard I don't have a date but the photographers name and address is:-
                                        A & G Taylor St Nicholas Buildings
                                        Adjoining the Post Office
                                        Newcastle

Have googled the name and found this

Derbyshire Photographers Profiles : A & G Taylor of Derby

There's a group photo towards the bottom of the page taken at that address and taken in 1897 (Unidentified family)
                                        That's the only one I can see at that address so far, but there are some useful looking hairstyles and men's collars/lapels before you get that far down

Comment

Working...
                                        X