X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info required on Stanley Wiltshire

Hi All
    Info required on Stanley Wiltshire, 1894-6 to ? please

The marriage certificate of Stanley Alfred Wiltshire and Minnie Elizabeth Law holds the following data. On the wedding day, 25th Jan 1920, Stanley was 26; he was a labourer and lived at 11 Olinda St, Portsmouth. Strangely his fathers name is not included on the document.

On the 17 December 1920 Alfred Edmund Wiltshire was born to them in Portsmouth. Alf worked most of his life in the HM Dockyard, he died 1st Sep 1990.

Stanley left Minnie in the 1930’s and moved to Brighton where he started a new family.

Possible parents of Stanley are as follows, DOB taken as about 1895 as per marriage certificate -
    Stanley born 1895 in Tolleshunt Darcy, father = Ethan Wiltshire, mother = Eva Lavinia ?.
    Stanley born 1895 in Wilton, wilts, father = Thomas Wiltshire, mother = Sarah Ann Hinton
    Stanley born 1896 in Devizes, father = Eleazer Wiltshire, mother = Elizabeth Romain
    Stanley born 1897 in West Ham, father = William Wiltshire, mother = Louisa ?.

If anyone can confirm which of these Stanleys moved to Portsmouth in the 191?’s, possibley served in WW1 (I have 2 medals from that war which probably belonged to him). After the war he and Minnie ran a Fruit and Veg shop in Portsmouth before he left for Brighton.

Also if anyone has info on his Brighton life please also let me know. You can email me direct on kev@kevsbox.com

Many thanks.

www.kevsbox.com
    www.spicetheworld.com

Kev, if his father's name is not given on the marriage certificate then it is most likely to mean that he was "illegitimate".
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by kevsbox View Post
      Possible parents of Stanley are as follows, DOB taken as about 1895 as per marriage certificate -
      Stanley born 1895 in Tolleshunt Darcy, father = Ethan Wiltshire, mother = Eva Lavinia ?.
      Stanley born 1895 in Wilton, wilts, father = Thomas Wiltshire, mother = Sarah Ann Hinton
      Stanley born 1896 in Devizes, father = Eleazer Wiltshire, mother = Elizabeth Romain
      Stanley born 1897 in West Ham, father = William Wiltshire, mother = Louisa ?.
      Looking at birth registrations on FreeBMD, the West Ham one is likely to be Stanley Herbert Wiltshire birth registered Jun 1896, the Wilton one is likely to be Stanley John Wiltshire birth registered Mar 1895, not sure about the other two yet.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Can't see him on Ancestry pension or service records.

There's one Stanley Wiltshire, no middle name, on the TNA site, service no. M2/12324, Army Service Corps driver.

Comment

According to my calculations, if he was 26 when he got married in January 1920, that means he was born in 1893 or very early in 1894, not 1895?
          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by kevsbox View Post
            If anyone can confirm which of these Stanleys moved to Portsmouth in the 191?’s, possibley served in WW1 (I have 2 medals from that war which probably belonged to him)
            If you can post up the details of these medals - anything that they say on them, etc. then we may be able to help some more.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kiterunner

>>"illegitimate".
              That is what we are starting to think as well.
              >>1893 or very early in 1894, not 1895
              You are right, must have worked that out when drunk. Thanks for your help here though.
              www.kevsbox.com
              www.spicetheworld.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                Can't see him on Ancestry pension or service records.

There's one Stanley Wiltshire, no middle name, on the TNA site, service no. M2/12324, Army Service Corps driver.

Thanks, I will check it out
                www.kevsbox.com
                www.spicetheworld.com

Comment

There are plenty of Wiltshires in Portsmouth itself. Freebmd has the birth of a Frederick ALFRED S Wiltshire in Dec 1893. Could this be your man? It would be worth looking for all young male Wiltshires on the 1901 census in Portsmouth.

If the medals have service numbers on them, the documentsonline site could be searched for that reference to see what name it tallied with.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

getting there

Thanks everyone for their advise and help, looks like we are getting somewhere at last.
                    Regards

Kevin
                    www.kevsbox.com
                    www.spicetheworld.com

Comment

An Ancestry medal card search brings up half a dozen hits in addition to the one mentioned above, but they all have a middle initial other than A. One was in the Hampshire regiment.

Comment

Thank

Many thanks Mary
                        www.kevsbox.com
                        www.spicetheworld.com

Comment

Working...
                        X