Don't forget to repeat Google book searches regularly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't forget to repeat Google book searches regularly

I know I've said this before, but it's really worthwhile repeating your Google Book searches for your main ancestors regularly, because they're putting new stuff on all the time.

My latest find has left me gobsmacked - I knew my ancestor Jonathan Mallet had some interesting friends and relations, but I've just discovered that he was the close friend and executor of Peggy Shippen, widow of the notorious Benedict Arnold. General Arnold betrayed George Washington's revolutionary army by going over to the British, and his name is still a byword for treason in America today.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-05-08, 07:27.

Thanks for the reminder Mary.

What an interesting find for you!
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Yes, amazing. It definitely wasn't there last time I searched about a month ago.

I'd already downloaded Benedict Arnold's will from TNA ages ago, because I knew he lived in Jonathan's house on Broadway after Jonathan went back to England, so I wondered if he might have got a mention, but he didn't.

It didn't occur to me to look at his wife's will until I found Jonathan's name as her executor on Google book search.

Comment

Mary.....between Google Books and the odd will (some more odd than others LOL) I've pieced most of my Sawrey family.

I've downloaded "The Antiquities of Furness" which has just about the whole family.
        Then there are the law reports of the wills that were contested.
        The best one so far is a book on Pennsylvania about Thomas Holme the surveyor. His great grandfather was Myles Sawrey and the family is once again all through it.

Oh....I forgot...The book about Wordsworth....found that on Google Books, but had to buy it to read it....which I did!!!

Comment

Yes, same here - I found a really interesting book on Google books which turned out to contain a chapter about the genealogy of my Lichfield Mallets. I had to buy a second-hand copy from America, but it was well worth it.

Comment

I've just found a site which has digitised quite a few years' worth of the Gentleman's Magazine and a couple of others if you're interested:

Internet Library of Early Journals

Comment

Well.....thanks for that, Mary. When am I supposed to do any housework???????????

And I still want to transcribe Blawith PRs!!!

Comment

when you say Google Books,is that the normal search up the top of our home pages or another web site please.
                regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

The usual Google search that you do is the Google web search, which searches Internet website pages. The book search searches inside books which have been digitised.

To do a Google book search, either start here:

Google Book Search

or enter your search term in the Google web search as usual, and then click on more and then Books.

Comment

Thank you,will have a go.
                    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

Good Morning All

My apols if this has been answered before, but can anyone advise me how I can copy a page which I have found on Google books.

Many thanks

Terry

Comment

Terry, you can do a 'screen shot' of the image by using the key at the top right of your keyboard (PrtSc/SysRq). Then open a Word document and paste the image there....you can crop out what is not required.

Beverley

Comment

I'd have to agree, Mary.

I have just found an article in the Ecclesiastical Gazette, 1839, which paints a most affecting picture of the destitution suffered by the wife and family of my Rev John Gould when he was imprisonned for debt. I have been hunting for information about this rumoured occurrence since 2001, when I was first told about it.

Woohoo!!! :D

Beverley

Comment

Nice one Beverly, many thanks for that.

Terry

Comment

hi mary...i don`t know what i`d do without you....can you advise me on googling a name...ie...this morning i googled a lost grandfather...his daughter has 5 children and she is desperate to contact him...she was born in 1967...and at aged 4 her parents split up...so she hasn`t seen him in 37 years....so i googled his name..(.i don`t know if i`m allowed to post his name if he is alive..he was born in Guyana,so he might have returned)....there was so many pages.....is there any way i can condense a names page??.....does that sound stupid?...i just thought there might be another way of finding him....regards....allan
                              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

You shouldn't really post his name if he's alive. If you want to send me a PM, I'll have a look for you. It may be difficult if it's a common name, though.

Anyway, if you're looking for Fred Bloggs, search for:

"Fred Bloggs"

in inverted commas, otherwise you'll get pages with Fred Smith and Joe Bloggs.

You could also try this site, for people looking for missing relatives:

Missing You - UK Missing Persons : Genealogy

Has she tried the Salvation Army?

Comment

Terry, if you just want to copy a snippet, right-click and copy it to the clipboard, then copy it to a Word file or Microsoft Paint.

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                                    hi mary...i don`t know what i`d do without you....can you advise me on googling a name...ie...this morning i googled a lost grandfather...his daughter has 5 children and she is desperate to contact him...she was born in 1967...and at aged 4 her parents split up...so she hasn`t seen him in 37 years....so i googled his name..(.i don`t know if i`m allowed to post his name if he is alive..he was born in Guyana,so he might have returned)....there was so many pages.....is there any way i can condense a names page??.....does that sound stupid?...i just thought there might be another way of finding him....regards....allan
                                    Hi Allan, If he was working in this country the quickest way to find him would probably be 'The Office of National Statistics'. Cost about £30 but fairly quick & if he's still alive & in this country,they will pass on a letter.
                                    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

thanks vivienne......i`ll pass the message on...regards...allan
                                      mary...thanks for missing person site..........allan
                                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I tried googling the name you gave me, but I didn't find anything apart from a message on Genes, which I assume was from his daughter or granddaughter.

I also checked the deaths on Ancestry from 1984-2005, and he isn't listed.

Comment

Working...
                                        X