Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which way was this corrected on ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way was this corrected on ancestry?

I'm looking at an ancestry transcription of a Scottish 1851 census entry for Barbara Young age 61 in St Cuthberts Charity Workhouse, St Cuthberts Edinburgh. They are all women or girls on the page. For relationship to head it says Ordinary Inmate (Ordinary Seaman). Same for all the others on the page that I've checked. Please tell me it means that the original transcription was "ordinary seaman" and they have corrected it to "ordinary inmate" and not the other way round! But why on earth do they leave "ordinary seaman" there at all since it is obviously completely wrong?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Kate

For the same reason they always leave "GEROGE" as an alternative name for "GEORGE" I suppose!

OC

Comment

or why this happened:

Jno Heny Pasmore abt 1831 Windsor, Berkshire, England Un Moosd New Windsor With Dedworth, Berkshire

Un Moosd isn't English and it isn't any kind of relationship, clearly wrong. Can't think what the transcriber was thinking!

The image looks like "unmarried" and matches other "unmarried"s on the page, but it is in the relationship column and the marital status column is blank.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Like it always says windower instead of widower

Comment

Margaret, I'm sure I've seen some that say "widower (windower), which suggests that they have done the correction but again, for some reason, not removed the clearly wrong version. I was trying to find an example but failed!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
          X