Is a bachelor always a bachelor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a bachelor always a bachelor?

This may sound like a daft question but when a man of 37 says he was a bachelor on his marriage cert - could you assume he had never previously been married?

JANE

Normally yes - but there are exceptions as we've found to our cost.

I'd keep an open mind but have a look anyway to see if you can spot an earlier marriage.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I've got one bachelor who was actually married, one who was actually a divorcee and one who pretended to be his own father in order to try and hide his married status (and he was the brother of the first man I mentioned!!)

But usually a bachelor is a bachelor!!

Comment

Well one of mine was younger than that and married twice as a bachelor - second time round he was a widower.
        His bride must have known the truth, because they brought up the young son from the first marriage!

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
          This may sound like a daft question but when a man of 37 says he was a bachelor on his marriage cert - could you assume he had never previously been married?

JANE
          mmmmm what year are you talking about and how old was the bride?

My great grandfather married his wife when he was 39 and she was about 19 (my great grandmother who had 9 children with him) stating he was a bachelor. I've never proved otherwise yet but I have my doubts. He never reckoned on 'Family History' fanatics!

I so believe he had something somewhere else...

I have traced all his 'family' back however I haven't found a clue I'm still not convinced call me a sceptic if you like and I'm probably doing old Francis Worley a bad turn but having heard what my Nanny said about him I think I'm not wrong...

I think you have to weigh up all the facts really.

My big fact is Francis Worley turned up with not a stitch or money or any item of family, mother, father or anything else that he could account for and my grandmother died not knowing where the hell he came from and no one ever challenged or asked him cos they daren't. He was an enigma. He's not anymore but there's still a lot to learn about him he can't hide from 'us'.
          Last edited by Guest; 13-05-08, 22:52.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input - Merry's rellies are a strange crowd (or maybe I'm just an innocent so far!)

This was in 1913. Both bride and groom claimed to be 37.
            He stated he was a bachelor whilst she was a widow..........

JANE

Comment

Oooh, I was thrown off the track for years by my man calling himself a bachelor at his second marriage (He married 3 times).

It was only when I finally got the MIs that I realised it was the same man, three marriages. What's more, he married in the same church each time, so the Vicar KNEW he wasn't a bachelor the second time!

OC

Comment

Merry's rellies are a strange crowd
                :(

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input - Merry's rellies are a strange crowd (or maybe I'm just an innocent so far!)

This was in 1913. Both bride and groom claimed to be 37.
                  He stated he was a bachelor whilst she was a widow..........

JANE
                  I'd think that was probably okay then being the same age and she admitting being a widow.

I wouldn't expect anything untoward there to be honest.

Comment

Thanks everyone - maybe I'll be rash and assume he was - plenty of other confusion in tree to worry about

JANE

Comment

My OH's cousin married a batchelor who was 60 and she was a spinster of 45. A happier couple I've yet to meet. This was in 1981. Sadly they are both dead now.
                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I've mentioned Aurelia Chinn who was married for the first time at 63 to a widower ten years her senior.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                        X