19th century periodicals - new digital database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th century periodicals - new digital database

I don't think this has been mentioned before as it started on 13th May.

A new digital database with six free searchable digital editions of a selection of Victorian periodicals is now made available by British Library, Birkbeck College, King's College London and Olive Software.

The titles are:
    Tomahawk (1867-1870) – a satirical illustrated contemporary of Punch, with full-page cartoons.
    English Woman's Journal (1858-1864) – an early women's magazine published and set by women.
    Northern Star (1837-1852) – a social reformist newspaper, which gave away portraits of notable Chartists and at its height had nine editions in a single day.
    Publishers' Circular (1880-1890) – a trade magazine from the publishing industry with lavish illustrations.
    Leader (1850-1859) – a mid-century political weekly, which began by printing Town and Country editions.
    Monthly Repository (1806-1837) – a long-lived theological and philosophical monthly.

The website is at NCSE: Home

A quick search shows that it may be a useful source for family history research.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

That looks very promising, Keldon, thanks.

The search facility doesn't seem to be working properly, at least with Firefox; it won't interpret a phrase in inverted commas as a phrase, although according to the Help page it should do. Does that work for you?

Comment

A really difficult site to search and I got a lot of irrelevant results.

However, I did get one very useful piece of information which I am off to google right this minute!

Thanks for putting up the link, Keldon.

OC

Comment

Whoooo hooo Hubbys chartist lot turning up like mad in the Northern Star!!!

Comment

Peppie

Yes, that's what I found! A James Holden connected with the Chartist movement in Rochdale. I think I know who he is, but googling hasn't helped me at all here.

OC

Comment

There is a John Holden here..Chartists in Tordmorden

Comment

Looks promising and I've found some documents but I'm having trouble viewing them. Will try again later.
              Jenny

Comment

What a find!

I searched on a surname, there were 113 hits, the first three listed were "mine," an inquest into a suicide I knew nothing about!

Thanks so much for this link
                Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

There's another digitising project here that seems to be in its infancy, but looks very promising, although not all the information will be available to the public:

OxLIP - Oxford Libraries Information Platform

Some issues of the Gentleman's Magazine and a couple of others are searchable and browsable here:

Internet Library of Early Journals
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-05-08, 10:05.

Comment

I had problems with the searching as well - and I like to think I know what I am doing when using the internet. It certainly isn't the easiest one I've come across.
                    The Northern Star is a great source for the Chartist movement and is more likely to feature 'ordinary people' as opposed to the Times, etc.
                    Phil
                    historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

I've sent them some feedback about the search problems - I'll let you know if they reply.

Comment

Phil,

I've also had a look at your History House link, Sadly only a passing reference to my lot, but a really good useful looking site, with some good pictures, well done!
                        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Sue at the seaside - Thank you for your kind words about my site, comments like that makes all the work worthwhile!
                          Phil
                          historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X