What's she holding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's she holding?

please may I have your suggestions on this - I know its poor quality (its a very battered proof), but I'm interested in what the lady might be holding.

She appears to be holding a sheet of paper or card, it doesn't look thick enough to be a book. I have no idea what might be considered significant enough to be included in a formal studio pic - any ideas?

Additional background: I can date it to the early 1930's, as she died in Jan 1934. They would be grandparents by this date. I think the man's badge is the SWB from WWI.

Vicky

if you zoom right in, it seems to have a decorative border ( printed frame maybe) round the edge.

Was anyone awarded for anything? maybe it certifies something
    Jess

Comment

I wondered whether it was some sort of certificate but I have no idea what it could be for.
      Wish the 20th C local newspapers were on line!
      Vicky

Comment

It also appears to be on some kind of book stand.

Comment

Sheet music!

Comment

is the picture back to front?

I think the mans buttons do up the wrong way and his lapel badge should be worn on the other side so I wonder if the negative has been printed in reverse
            Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

ignore me, I just went and put a coat on to check and his does up the right way
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I often go with my Dad's advise about old photos.....they're usually taken to commemorate something eg. engagement, wedding, anniversary.

Did the couple have a silver/golden wedding anniversary at the approximate time you think the photo was taken, is the paper their wedding cert?
                ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

it may even just something that the photographer had laying around in his studio and given to the woman to hold so that her hands "had something to do" so to speak rather than just have them resting in her lap or "draped" over the arms of the chair, and yes I would agree with the lapel badge being the Silver War Badge.

don

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian Line View Post
                    I often go with my Dad's advise about old photos.....they're usually taken to commemorate something eg. engagement, wedding, anniversary.

Did the couple have a silver/golden wedding anniversary at the approximate time you think the photo was taken, is the paper their wedding cert?
                    This is what is puzzling me... his 65th birthday Feb 1930: if so, why is SHE holding a certificate or whatever? She died before they made their ruby wedding anniversary. I don't think the paper is a marriage cert, as Jess said it seems to have some sort of border round it.

I think the photo must be late 1920's or early 1930's as he was born 1865 & she 1870, so given their apparent ages its unlikely to be much earlier. They married in Oct 1894, making their silver wedding 1919, & they look too old for it to have been taken then (I have a photo of them in 1915 still looking quite young - could you go completely grey in 4 years?)

The other thing that struck me, she doesn't exactly look HAPPY, does she?
                    Vicky

Comment

this is the same lady in 1932, and this date is accurate as its written on the photo LOL (and I know the lad is my dad born 1925)

Vicky

Comment

A very quick enlargement
                        Don't think she looks unhappy ... just keeping still for the photograph

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

marrige certificate i think brenda xxx

Comment

At very first glance she looks a fair bit older in the 1932 photo, but on a second look, I don't thing she is more than a year or two older - it's just that she is wearing less smart clothes and the wind is blowing her hair.

Maybe someone in the family has that bit of paper she is holding hidden away somewhere??

It's not the right shape to be a marriage certificate - unless it was something prepared by the vicar at the church, which it could well be, but, as you said, not the right date for a big anniversary.

I'm still thinking................

Comment

Lots of straw clutching here.....what about his WW1 service certificate, seeing as he had dug out his SWB?? Maybe they were stored together?

They are not all identical in style and layout (having googled).....here's a random example:

Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

Comment

hmmm... I was thinking if I could work out what she was holding, it might help me with the reason the photo was taken...

I'm now wondering why he is wearing the SWB - anyone any ideas how common it was for soldiers to wear these long after the war had ended?

the pic of the family taken in 1915 is on this thread - its post #44. In that photo, dad is 50 & mum 45.

Vicky

Comment

If you had asked me to guess the gap between the two photos, I would have said an absolute minimum of 10 years for him and around 15 years for her.

Comment

Merry, that's about what I thought, though possibly he's easier to guess at than she is, as in the 1932 snap she doesn't seem to have any wrinkles (she'd then be 62). In fact, had I not been positive about the date I'd have thought she was younger than 62.

Going back to the earlier observation that the certificate or whatever is on a book stand, suggests THAT is the purpose of the photo, and its not a prop/incidental?
                                    Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 14-05-08, 11:19.
                                    Vicky

Comment

Vicky, could it be an Order of Service? Have they just attended a church ceremony?

Comment

Vicky,

his right arm is bothering me.....I can't see his hand....was he wounded in the war?

What about one of their children getting married about 1832? or his retirement? You would definitely only go to a photographers for a special occasion, not just on a whim 'cos you fancied having your photo taken.
                                        ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Working...
                                        X