is this a navy badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a navy badge

This chap was born in 1891 & I assume was therefore somehow involved in WWI. My dad told me he was KIA, but I found his death in 1920 (pneumonia). Its quite a common name & I've not had much luck with medal cards. I wondered whether I was on the wrong track & this is a naval badge?
    Unfortunately this is the only photo I have.

Vicky

Vicky I think, and I stress I'm not sure, but I think the star is a royal navy sleeve badge, as used for petty officers and other ranks.

Comment

Barbara is correct in saying that he was a member of the senior service. He also has a "badge" on his left arm but I can not make out if it is a fouled anchor or long service /good conduct stripes (but at the mo I would go for the fouled anchor).

don

Comment

Don, you have an incredible eye for detail, I'd not spotted the badge on his left sleeve.

At least now I know where to look for his records.

Any ideas how long he would have had to serve to get a long service or good conduct badge? He would have been 23 at the start of the war. I'm wondering how long he signed up for. I have a possible marriage in Portsmouth June Q 1915, I guess I have to send for that now
        Vicky

Comment

I believe that the fouled anchor makes him a leading seaman, to earn a long service stripe he would have to have served 15 years......;)

Comment

Vicky, he is a member of the Supply and Secretariat division, this includes cooks, clerks and storekeepers etc.

The anchor on his left sleeve indicates he was a Leading rate equivalent to a full corporal in the army or RAF.

Barbara, a good service badge is awarded every four years from the age of eighteen for "four years of undetected crime"

Comment

Thank you for your input everyone. I don't think he could have had a long service badge as he was only 28 when he died, not long enough even if he'd signed up (before the war) when he was 18.

My dad (who was in the navy in WWII) never mentioned him other than to remark in passing that he was KIA (which we now know wasn't the case). He died before my dad was born, so the only info about him must have come via his mother (my gran) who was John's youngest sister (she would have been 15 when John died, surely old enough to remember him). I'm sure had he actually been to sea that would have been remarked on, as my dad believed he was the first seaman on both sides of the family.

I'm going to investigate his service records next, hopefully I will find out exactly what he did during the war.
              Vicky

Comment

Pilgrim thanks, undected crime, I like that.....:D

Comment

eleventh commandment - thou shall not get found out
                  Vicky

Comment

Working...
                  X