Archibald Andrew Rennie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archibald Andrew Rennie

Archibald Andrew Rennie b1855 Scotland. 1891 census he is serving with Battalion Armourer Sergeant. Wife Mary b1857 and children are living in Farnborough, Hants.
    1901 census has them living in Kent he is now at the Royal Arsenal the children are Margret b1883 Dover, Kent, Georgina b1890 Aldershot, Hants, Maud Violet b1892 Chatham, Kent, Archibald b1894 Malta. In 1912 the son lived 19 Sladedale Road Plumstead.
    Sergeant Andrew Rennie in walking out dress 93 Sutherland Highlanders circa 1850-1852 from a contemporary painting. Artist unknown.
    Frontline Figures - 93rd (Highland) Regiment
    Can anyone help with this family? Are the two sergeants related, does anyone know anything of the families?

Sorry, you want to connect Sgt Andrew Rennie with Archibald Andrew Rennie?

I don't know much about Scotland but I think Rennie is a fairly common surname and Andrew even more so as a first name in Scotland.

Judging by the dates, Sgt Andrew could be Archibald's father - but you'd need baptism or birth records to prove connection.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The only Archibald Rennie b. 1855 on Scotland 1861 census is with parents William & Catherine G. in Edinburgh
      Edinburgh St Cuthberts; ED: 36; Line: 10; Year: 1861

Comment

This fits with 1861 census family but not sure he's the right chap

ARCHIBALD RENNIE
        Birth: 29 APR 1855 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
        Parents: WILLIAM RENNIE & CATHERINE GOWANS
        Source Information: Batch No.: C116851

from FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Comment

Thank you Little Nell. Do you kow if i can research the military records of these two to see if they are related. Are there any other sources I should look at. This family is proving most diffucult for me.

Comment

Do you have Archibald and Mary's marriage certificate? And if so, what details does it give for Archibald's father?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Army records might help though I don't know where Scottish records are kept. This is website for the Sutherland Highlanders Regiment;

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders - Regimental Museum

Comment

Kite runner, I dont have the marriage certificate for Andrew and Mary. But I have one for his son Archibald. Says his father was a munitions worker. 1891 census has Andrew serving with his Battalion and he is a Armourer Sergent

Comment

Sorry, I'm confused. I mean the couple that you mentioned in your first post - Archibald Andrew born 1855 and Mary born 1857. Surely the next step is to get their marriage certificate, which will tell you the name and occupation of Archibald Andrew's father? If you don't have Mary's maiden name, then you might need the birth certificate of one of their children first.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

KiteRunner thanks. If you or somone could tell me how to do that i would greatly appreciate.

Comment

Do you mean how to get a birth certificate for one of the children, or how to get the marriage certificate?
                      KiteRunner

Comment

would you suggest the best way to go? I was thinking i needed a birth certificate in order to find the marriage.

Comment

Yes, I agree, getting a birth certificate first will be best and that will give you the mother's maiden name. Maud Violet looks to have the most unusual name, so I would suggest you get her birth cert as you will be sure to get the right one that way:
                          birth Mar 1892
                          name Maud Violet Rennie
                          district Medway
                          volume 2a
                          page 614

and you can order it from the GRO at this link:
                          General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths
                          KiteRunner

Comment

While I wait for the certificate is there any way to search forward?

Archibald, March 31st. 1918 a Dockyard Worker is married at Saint Thomas Woolwich to Mary Louise Woodhouse in the presence of Albert James Woodhouse Dockyard Foreman and R Woodhouse. They are living at 105 Sand Street Woolwich. June 1924 they have a son name removed.

Maud Violet, I believe her married name was Tennyson. She may have had two children details removed.

Margret, it is thought she became a nun. No order or other information known.
                            Last edited by KiteRunner; 15-05-08, 21:58.

Comment

Are any of those people still alive? If so, then we need to remove their details as it is our site policy not to post up details of living people.

Update - since you must not have seen this message I've deleted their details.
                              Last edited by KiteRunner; 15-05-08, 21:59.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Searching forward - one thing which is easy to do but can take a while is simply to search through the GRO death indexes quarter by quarter to find out when they died and order copies of the death certificates. Then you will find out where they died, where they were living when they died, who registered the deaths...

Another idea is to look through the old phone directories on ancestry.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

KiteRunner thank you. I have no idea if those people are still alive, but certainly they may. Quick math they would be 84-94 years of age. Is there a year to use as a guide for posting?

Comment

If they would be over a hundred then it should be o.k.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Hello again, I have received the Birth Certificate of Maude Violet Rennie. She was born 06 February 1892. Father Andrew Rennie occupation Sergeant Buffs, mother Mary Ann Rennie formerly McGann. The address of birth appears to be 21 Manor Street, Brompton

Comment

So, a quick look on FreeBMD brings up this possible marriage:

Mary Ann McGann / Andrew Rennie,
                                        Jun 1892 Medway 2a 1003.
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X