Amy Rosa Gibbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amy Rosa Gibbs

I am trying to find Amy Rosa Gibbs born 1886 or 87 but don't know where.

A colleague of mine has asked me to help him. His mother was Dorethy Clayton born 1917 in Knaresborough, parents Horace Clayton and Amy Rosa Gibbs. Amy dies in 1927 aged 40, knaresborough.

We have received the marriage cert today and we have found everything on Horace but nothing on Amy.

Oct 27 1917 at the parish church of St Peter Bexhill Sussex

Amy Rosa Gibbs 30 spinster 14 Suffolk Road Sidley. Charles Gibbs (deceased) Tailor.

I have tried looking for Amy Rosa with no surname and then a marriage to Charles Gibbs but nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Lin
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Can't see any births 1886/7 for Amy Rosa anyone or any Gibbs that seem likely.

Perhaps she invented her first names or her father.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell

I can't find anything but Her marriage, daughters birth cert say Amy Rosa Gibbs and her death registry said Amy R Clayton so she isn't changing her name on any of them.

I am just looking at 1891 to see if I can find a Charles Gibbs as a tailor. With no age or birth place it is taking a long time.

Thanks Lin
      Lin

Comment

Do you think she could have been a bit older than she said, because there is an Amy Rosa Gibbs born Mar 1879 in Birmingham, and I had a quick look on the 1881 census and she is on it aged 2 with a father called Charles who is a tailor.
        :D Carolyn

Comment

That looks promising, Carolyn. If she was born 1879 she'd be 38 when her daughter was born. She may have wanted to appear younger.

Comment

Hi Lin - this is the best I could come with -

GIBBS Amy West Ham.4a 74 2 1886

GIBBS Amy Amelia St Olave.1d 324 1 1886

GIBBS Amy Elizabeth Warwick.6d 559 4 1886

GIBBS Amy Martha Marylebone.1a 579 3 1887

GIBBS Amy Mary E Banbury.3a 867 4 1887

GIBBS Amy Rebecca Lambeth.1d 558 1 1886

any transcriptions in this post are Crown Copyright unless otherwise stated
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Carolyn

I am just going to have a look at census

be back in a mo

Thanks
              Lin

Comment

RG12; Piece: 2380; Folio 113; Page 18

Amy (mistranscribed as Cook though someone has added an amendment) is with her mother Rosanna and Rosanna's son whose name is Cook!

Comment

still with Rosanna in Birmingham

RG13; Piece: 2835; Folio: 64; Page: 17

Comment

In 1901 it says shes a teacher!! As usual it has no occupation on the marriage cert.

Also Charles is not there on 1891 or 1901 so its a good possibility.

Amy had another daughter after Dorethy called Monica about 1921. I did look it up but forgot exactly so that would make her about 40 when she had her. Also Phyllis in 1917. She died aged 2 in Yorks.

When Amy died the girls were split up and put into different orphanages. When Dorethy was 21 she was told she had 2 sisters. Isn't it awful.

Whats anyone elses feelings on this one and how whould we ever know for definite?

Thanks everyone

Lin
                    Lin

Comment

It sounds pretty likely to be her. Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate?
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite

The witnesses were Daisy Nickerson and Matt Baker. Haven't looked them up as it was 1917 and so long after the 1901 census and I knew Horace came from Yorks and this was Bexhill in Surrex. Thought they must just be friends but could be wrong.

Lin
                        Lin

Comment

Just to say thanks to everyone that help me.

Lin
                          Lin

Comment

Amy Rosa Gibbs

Hi Lin
                            I have just joined the Forum as Google alerted me to a mention of Sidley in your subject. I live in the Sidley area of Bexhill-on-Sea, Sussex and I'm writing a book about Sidley history so have been doing intensive research and have gathered a lot of material over many years.
                            No doubt you were wondering how Amy Rosa Gibbs came to be living in Sidley. I can't answer that as yet, but I have a possible reference to her. The Mistress of Sidley Infants School in 1915 was Miss Rachel Burdett and Pike's Street Directory of that year shows that her Assistants were Miss Poole, Mrs Cruttenden, Miss Smith and Miss Gibbs.
                            A Mr Gibbs attended a meeting at the New Inn, Sidley, in 1893. A Mr Gibbs donated potatoes towards an Annual Dinner for the aged poor of Sidley in 1896 organised by the Sidley Branch of the Buffs (Ancient Order of Buffaloes). The Reverend Mr W. H. Gibbs preached at services marking the opening of the Wesleyan Mission in Sidley in 1898. I have references to a Councillor Gibbs in 1909.
                            Next time I go to Bexhill Library (probably next week) I will look at their old street directories to see who was listed at 14 Suffolk Road, Sidley as these normally show the head of household. I'll also see if there's a Charles Gibbs listed in Directory indexes who was a tailor.
                            I always enjoy trying to help people with local family history problems!

Comment

Hi Culli

This is really interesting. I am going to send you a private message as there is quite a lot to tell you.

If you go to the top of the page and on the right hand side it says 'Private Message', click on there and you can see it.

Thanks Lin
                              Lin

Comment

Hi Culli

Now you are a member on here why don't you post a thread and ask if anyone has any

Lin info on Sidley. Some-one might have a birth or bap etc that could help you in your research.
                                Lin

Comment

Working...
                                X