Brides father Richard, farmer
    wits, Esther Maynard & Emma Jaggard

Same marriage from Ancestry BMD;
    Robert Jaggard & Phoebe Maynard
    1854 Jun Q
    Newmarket reg dist Cambridgeshire
    Volume 3b page 779

Looking ok so far..

but on 1861 census Robert appears to be married to Esther.
    1861: RG9; Piece: 1035; Folio: 19; Page: 32

Their 1st child, Esther Elizabeth Jaggard, was baptised 6 May 1855. daughter of Robert & Esther - not Phoebe. - from familyhistoryonline

Did Robert remarry, possibly to Phoebe's sister a witness at marriage?. I can't see a death for Phoebe Jaggard anyway.

Ther's another marriage for Robert Jaggard:
    1855 Dec Q Newmarket vol 3b page 1230 but only one female on page and its not Esther.
    This may not be the same Robert Jaggard, it was a popular name!

Am I missing something obvious here please? Can any one find a death for Phoebe or the missing female for 1855 marriage?

Thanks for looking
    Sue

Sue, both the marriages are on Cambridgeshire BMD. The bride for the 1855 one had the surname Marsh - ref 331/CE061/01/116/1, district Cambridge, then working through all the female Marshes in that year, it turns out to be a Lucy Marsh.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for that Kite. I'd forgotten about that site.

Oh, that is a different Robert Jaggard who married Lucy Marsh. At least I can rule that one out. So back to square one!
      Sue

Comment

No help at all, but my eye was caught by the Phoebe/Esther combination - both are very popular names in the Holden family and every generation has them both.

OC

Comment

Sue, do you know for sure that Phoebe had a sister called Esther? Or could it just be that Phoebe decided to change her name to Esther after marriage, for goodness only knows what reason, and the Esther who was a witness is some other relative?
          KiteRunner

Comment

lol thanks for looking in OC.

Phoebe & Esther are not very popular with my Jaggard family. But William, Robert,Thomas & John.. hundreds of 'em!
            Sue

Comment

Kite, no I don't know for sure if Phoebe had a sister named Esther. Can't seem to pinpoint them on previous census. I sort of presumed.. :o. As the other witness was Robert's sister, my hubby's 2x Gt Grandmother.

Yes, that seems to be the only explanation at the moment, Kite. At first I thought the transcription on FHOL was wrong, mixing up the brides name with the witness. But I've found the marriage on Ancestry.
              Sue

Comment

Oh bother, the IGI says she did have an older sister Esther! Esther was baptised 13 Aug 1826, same parents (Richard and Elizabeth).
                KiteRunner

Comment

I think I've found the Maynards in 1841, mistranscribed as "Strysand" on ancestry! (Perhaps you're related to Barbra of that ilk?!)

Mind you, looking at the image I'm astounded they managed to get that close. This is the reference, I'll leave you to strain your eyes over it if you want to check! Anyway, it is a Richard and Elizabeth and they have an Esther and a Phoebe of the right ages:

Class: HO107; Piece 28; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Sonning; County: Berkshire; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 9; Page: 12; Line: 6; GSU roll: 241205.

I think I found Phoebe with her mother in 1851 earlier, and Esther was somewhere else, a servant maybe. Didn't note down the references, though.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Perhaps Robert changed his mind and preferred Esther to Phoebe!!

Or perhaps the names were in the wrong places in the register. That would explain why its on Ancestry as Robert & Phoebe.

Stranger things have happened. Hubby's grandmother's marriage is on Ancestry, in Southampton, but they married in the USA. When I tried to order the cert I got a phone call to say no certifate could be found.
                    Sue

Comment

Thanks very much Kite. Off to have a look.

I should be outside enjoying this lovely weather! But couldn't resist just tiding up some loose ends on our Jaggard family and I'm still here at 1/2 past 2!
                      Sue

Comment

lol Sorry Kite, just got the bit about Barbara! :D I'm a bit slow today, there's me thinking someone on here! DOH! Silly me.
                        Sue

Comment

What we really need is to find Phoebe or Esther somewhere else from 1861 onwards, but I've had no luck with that. Think I'd better get back to my mystery that I was trying to solve before the kids get back from school...
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for all your help Kite.

Good luck with your mystery.
                            Sue

Comment

Working...
                            X