Another uniform to identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another uniform to identify

I believe this to be a photo of my grandmother's brother. He certainly went to India and I always thought he was in the army, but was he? And which regiment?
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

Hello Raunds Girl -

*waves from about 15 miles up the A45*

Welcome to FTF.
    Jess

Comment

I wondering how much significance 'Mizpah' has to this mystery. I have googled and found reference to it (as a place) in the bible, but not in India.

Comment

here he is slightly larger

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

'Mizpah' meant an unbreakable bond between two people, usually lovers. Was quite common on trinkets and postcards between lovers in 1890's and very early 1900's. My great uncle was sued for breach of contract in 1896 partly because he had given a lady a ring like this 'Mizpah' and then breaking off their relationship 4 years later. In any case, interesting as it is, I don't think it will be significant in placing the uniform, though may help a bit dating it.

Comment

'Mizpah' is nothing to do with the uniform or India, it means "The Lord watch between me and thee when we are absent one from another" My guess is that he sent it to his mother, it was the sort of thing that people sent to mothers or wives and sweethearts.
            There is the photographer's address as well.
            It is: S.R. Tomer
            Dalhousie
            Punjab
            India

The whole thing is on stiff card, no marks on the back, slightly larger than postcard size.

Many thanks to Rachel for the enlargement

Waving back from 15 miles down the A45 in the opposite direction to Jess
            Last edited by raundsgirl; 12-05-08, 15:23. Reason: Adding information

Comment

is it a police uniform,as i think thats a whistle on his chain brenda xxx

Comment

Help identify please

Would it be possible for someone to give details of 'service uniform'? and year please?
                Thank you

Comment

google uniform of india and see what comes up,this last one is a sergeant brendaxxx

Comment

Working...
                  X