Help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please

I am trying to find the origin of the last name Lacohee. My grandfather Norman Baker,born 1913 in Newcastle upon Tyne his sister and my great grandfather John Baker, born 1890 also in Newcastle has it for their middle name, but I can not find out where it came from. I thought I would come across it as the last name of some ggg grandmother, but to no avail. If someone knows something about this last name, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Debbie

Hi Debbie, Welcome to the site.

You will find the answer to the Lacohee name on your tree in this thread:

Your grandfather was Norman Baker, I recall. His great grandmother was Elizabeth Lacohee. She was John Baker's grandmother.

Comment

Debbie,

it is a long story, but a family called Laccohee was friendly with my great grandmother. An A.Laccohee was a witness at her wedding in Dec 1861, and in the census earlier in that year a little girl called Eliza Lacchee, aged five, was a visitor at my widowed 2Xgt Grandmother's home. I have not been able to find that our familiy was actually related. Quite possibly gggm met a member of the family in Bermondsey in her younger days.

The family was Huguenot in origin, named originally La Cohie, possibly a Flemish placename, and was originally connected to Norwich.

See this link for more information about their origins and connection with Norwich.

The history of the La Cohie [Laccohee] weaving family: in Wallonia and Norwich, England

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Roger

Comment

This may well be the marriage of Elizabeth's parents:

County: Norfolk
        Place: Norwich
        Church: St Edmunds
        Register Number: 220
        Marriage Date: 08 Jun 1807
        Groom Forename: John
        Groom Surname: LACKCOE
        Groom Parish: St Edmunds
        Bride Forename: Jane
        Bride Surname: GOOTCH
        Bride Parish: St Edmunds
        Witness One John Steward BELL
        Witness Two Jacob SHEARING
        Notes Groom signed with an X; Bride signed with a X; Banns; Ceremony performed by Thos BECKWITH Rector

This could well be John and Jane in 1841:

HO107; Piece 789; Book: 1; Civil Parish: St James; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 31; Page: 19; Line: 2

The Elizabeth in their household may well be their dau in law, as your Elizabeth was older and married by 1841.

Comment

Deaths Mar 1848
          LACCOHEE Jane Norwich 13 218

I can't see John's death at the mo.

Comment

Hi Merry,

Thanks for looking for my Laccohee ancestors. Brenda unfortunately got things a little mixed up when posting for me. My great grandfather John Sidney Lacohee Baker was born in 1890 Newcastle, Northumberland, not Manchester. His parents were James Baker and Agnes Dentith. I've gone back quite a few generations and there is no direct Lacohee that I can find. Maybe there was an aunt that grandpa was named after. I did get a reply from someone who sent me a link to a Lacohee site. Again thanks.

Debbie

Comment

Debbie.......I spent years looking for the birthplace of my ggg grandfather. One of the things I did was check the second names of all his children for clues. They all had quite impressive second names. I eventually found the names in the town they lived in.....they were...... the solicitor, teacher and butcher, with only one being the mother's maiden name.

I just hope all those fellows were not the childrens' fathers, but I'm not going there.

Also wondered where my mother got her name...until her brother told me she was named after the horse that won the Wellington Cup the year she was born. LOL.

Sometimes it's just a name the parents have heard and liked.

Comment

Okay - here's what I've managed to find so far:

1841 - HO107; Piece 978; Book: 6; Folio: 27; Page: 9 West Bromwich
                1861 - RG9; Piece: 2026; Folio: 37; Page: 31 West Bromwich
                1871 - RG10; Piece: 3710; Folio: 77; Page: 1 Monks Coppenhall
                1881 - RG11; Piece: 3542; Folio: 106; Page: 36 Monks Coppenhall
                1891 - RG12; Piece: 4197; Folio 69; Page 5

James Baker 1861 west brom, staffs
                agnes dentith wife 1863 crewe
                james 1884 son fulham
                arthur 1886 son fulham
                frank 1887 son fulham
                john 1890 son newcastle

m. 1883 fulham James Baker, Agned Dentith

James Baker 1834 West Bromwich
                Emma, wife, 1835 West bromwich
                Phoebe, daur, 1858 West bromwich (born blind)
                james 1861 West Bromwich (*see above*)
                M S , daur, 1863, Fulham *
                Frederick, son, 1870 Crewe Cheshire
                Francis Annie, daur, 1876 Crewe

*could be Maria Sarah (Jun 1836) or possibly Miriam Jane (Sep 1864)

James Baker c1802 Brierley Hill, Staffs
                Phoebe c 1799 Darlaston Staffs

John bp 1823 Darlaston
                Joseph bp 1825 Darlaston
                Daniel 1827 Darlaston
                George 1829 darlaston
                Mary Ann 1832 Birmingham
                James 1834 West bromwich (see above)

IGI - (James Baker marries Phebe Wilkes 10 Jun 1822 West Bromwich)

on 1841 living next door is a widow called Phillis Baker with children David b 1830 and Ann b 1833.

IGI

David Baker bp 1831, son of Elijah Baker and Phillis
                Ann Baker bp 1833, daur of ELijah Baker and Phillis

Elijah Baker married Phillis Baker 31 May 1830 St THomas Dudley.

There is both an Elijah (1810) and James (1803) Baker baptised at Brierley Hill to Joseph and Ann Baker

other children of Joseph and Ann:

(batch number C033921 )

Daniel 1795, Joseph 1797, Sarah Peason 1800, Thomas 1805, Josia 1808

(there are three submitted records on IGI for Joseph baker to Hannah Pearson in 1794 at Kingswinford)

Thats as far as I've got so far. Should really be asleep by now.

I've enhanced the 1841 image to make the writing clearer as it's really hard to read, Give me a shout if you need it
                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Hi Debbie,

None of the people I found were from manchester.

I thought this was your grandfather:

Births Dec 1913
                  BAKER Norman L Blair Newcastle T. 10b 117

and that these were his parents:

Marriages Dec 1910
                  Baker John S L Newcastle T. 10b 18
                  Blair Lily Newcastle T 10b 18

and that this was the birth of his father:

Births Jun 1889
                  Baker John Sidney L Norwich 4b 154

Though this birth is in Norwich, this man was living in Newcastle in 1901 and the L does stand for Lacohee.

I take it the 1910 marriage record gives the name James for John's father, rather than the Samuel I found?

I cannot see a John Sidney Baker registered for birth in Newcastle in 1890.

Comment

Debbie, the only John Sidney L Baker birth listed on FreeBMD is in Norwich (1889) and then there is indeed a marriage for John S L Baker in Newcastle in 1910 to Lily Blair, and their son Norman was born in Newcastle in 1913.

Can I ask whether you have certificates for each step back in Norman's tree? I mean, do you have his birth certificate, his parents' marriage certificate, and so on? Baker is a very common surname, so it would be easy to go wrong without getting the certificates.

And looking at the 1901 census (can't remember if Merry already found this?) there is a John S L Baker (mistranscribed on ancestry as John P L Baker) age 12, living in Byker, Northumberland (part of Newcastle) and he was born in Norwich. Mother is Gertrude, a widow, age 44 born Cromer, Norfolk. John has an older brother Henry L Baker age 20 also born Norwich.

On the 1891 census ancestry have John mistranscribed again - they list him as John T L Baker, but it says John S L Baker on the actual page and his parents are Samuel L Baker and Gertrude, living in Norwich. Samuel Baker is the one who Merry found. It seems very unlikely that there were two John Sidney Laccohee Bakers born at the same time, one in Norwich and one in Newcastle, and that the Norwich one would move to Newcastle, so I'm sure that the one born in Norwich must be your ancestor.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                    X