Help Reqired re Liddely Bettesbold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Reqired re Liddely Bettesbold

I have an old letter written by a Liddely Bettesbold 30 March 1851. When I came to research her in the 1851 and subsequent Census she is nowhere to be found. The letter is written about the time Queen Victoria visited her. It could have been a household of a manor house somewhere? The letter was framed at Crediton in Devon but that is no indication that she is from there. It was given to me as apresent and I did say I would research her history but have fallen at the first hurdle. I would be very grateful if anyone can give me a hint as to where to go next. I have tried Free BMD for a possible marriage without any luck.

Janet

Are you sure you have the correct surname.
    There are no returns for Bettesbold on the 1841 - 1901 censuses!
    Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine,

Yes the name is defintely signed by her as Liddely Bettesbold. The date 30 March 1851 is at the top with a seal of some sort and the letter is as follows:

"Thus it came to pass on this day pry be to thee our most wonderess Majesty Queen Victoria came to our humble abode thus with much joy I set too record this event. Doth it please us greatly that pure by chance,I was here on this day.

Dearest LIzzie came to tears when Her Majesty said unto her what a fine dress to behold.

She was much taken by this remark for it came from one so grand our beloved Queen.

Liddely Bettesbold

I suppose it could be Bettescold? It has baffled me for a few years now! Is it a quirky fake?? Because it is under glass I cannot scan it properly though I could try a digital photo.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 11-05-08, 12:13.

Comment

She may have signed herself Liddely Bettesbold but that might not be how the census enumerator recorded it. I don't know of Liddely as a first name - maybe she was Lydia? She may have been quite young when she wrote this.

I suppose you could try to find out where Queen Victoria was on 30 March 1851.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

OOOOHHHH

30 March 1851 was census night!

Queen Victoria spent the night at Buckingham Palace, so she couldn't have been further than a few hours' travelling distance away during the day.

Comment

someone who has access to The Times online could check the court circular for the day, which would give her official duties, though as it was a Sunday she might have met young Liddely at a private function.

Comment

FreeBMDhas lots of Bettes(s), Betteson and Bettesworth - but no sign yet of a Bettesbold
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

The language is extremely florid, even for the mid 1850s. I wonder if this is a much earlier event than the date suggests?

OC

Comment

Search on 1851 census for Lid/Lyd* Bette* has produced nothing resembling the names you have.

Comment

Can you post her signature here?

There are no Bettesbolds on either familysearch or Ancestry

Comment

OC

Yes the date could be misleading. Queen Victoria came to the throne in June 1837, but I still think the language seems older than that. Of course it could be a young girl trying to sound more sophisticated?

Comment

Just tried looking for a male Lid* Bett* with equal lack of success. Is there anything on the seal?

Comment

Not an expert but my gut reaction is that the phrasing sounds more Elizabethan in its "prys be" than Victorian.

But I can't think of an earlier Queen Victoria from anywhere that dates from that time.

Comment

No, that's a good point Nell. I do agree it is more Elizabethan in tone but that may just be an affectation.

Couldn't be Siddely, could it? Or even Cicely??? Not that that helps with the Bettesbold bit.

OC

Comment

I have been trying to scan the letter under glass with poor results so tried to photo and scan but still no luck as the wording is fading. Short of destroying the glass I cannot as yet seem to get this on to the thread. I have tried a magnifying glass but this still shows Bettesbold but as you all so rightly say there is no name like this! I will have another go at photographing and will come back later if I can get anything better.

Thanks for all your replies. At least it is just not me and I agree the wording sounds very flowery and for a servant would be very well written.

Janet
                              Last edited by Janet; 11-05-08, 13:52.

Comment

Well even doing Bett* hasn't produced anything likely. How intriguing and baffling!

Comment

I now have a reasonable copy of the letter in my Corel Photo Album 6. How do I get it on to here? I have tried ordinary copy and paste but it won't work!

Janet

Comment

I am hoping that this image will be big enough to see.

Janet
                                    Attached Files

Comment

And this is the signature.

Janet
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I am hoping that someone will see these and either confirm they are real or maybe fake! This is the seal with the date.

Janet
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X