Coincidences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coincidences

Is anyone else left stunned at the ridiculousness of coincidences?

My ancestor James Odart married Joyce Plumpton in Stepney in 1739. They had two children baptised in Spitalfields in 1739 and 1740 and the IGI gives a burial for the elder child. So having checked the baptisms I searched the burials and came across several members of the family and then a burial for Joyce Odart, widow residing in the Workhouse, at Spitalfields in 1741. There hadn't been a James Odart buried between 1740 and 1741 although there was a Charles. So I began to wonder if this was an error but searched all the neighbouring parishes (relatively few at the time) and nothing turned up. I still didn't feel happy with accepting the Charles. I also wondered what Joyce was doing in the workhouse as her mother-in-law and sister-in-law were sufficiently well off enough to leave wills and seemed quite nicely off.

Then recently, I came across a marriage in 1698 in Stepney for a James Odart to a Joyce Rogers. Presumably, my Joyce lived on and the 1741 burial is the Joyce Odart ms Rogers.

But really, what are the chances of that?
    Asa

But surely Joyce Rogers should have been married to a Charles Odart?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

She certainly should have, Nell. Or just not marrying an Odart would have been preferable.

I always do this when I find a less common surname - I optimistically imagine that they will be easier to trace. Until once again I realise that no-one ever spells it the same way in a century and that all of the males have one of 4 first names and all their sons have the same first names....
      Asa

Comment

Asa

You are so right. I got very excited when I found my gt grandfather had 2 brothers who married sisters, surname Elsbury. Could I find their baptisms? Not until I went to the LDS in London and tracked down the obscure parish they came from - and found they'd started off life as Ailsbury!

When the first letter of a name is changed it is really difficult.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
        X