X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very sad, but no answers.....

Today I downloaded this burial info:

Robert Horniman burial record cropped.jpg

My relative was the mother of the two children who died and the wife of Robert Horniman who died shortly afterwards.

I already knew from another researcher than these three died in 1832, but I was also told the cause of death was cholera. I was hoping there would be mention of this on the burial entry; how else might the researcher (who I would generally trust) have got this info, or might a "could have been" been turned into a "was"???

Any bright ideas, please!

Well, one branch of my family lived in a village which published a weekly column of death tolls from such things as cholera, etc, in the local rag.

I also found a write up in a parish mag of a whole family who had perished elsewhere, due to typhoid.

OC

Comment

could it say at the top of the page something like all the following people died of cholera....
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
        I already knew from another researcher than these three died in 1832, but I was also told the cause of death was cholera.
        Certainly the right place and time - see
        Thomas Shapter and Cholera in Exeter 1832: Map
        Exeter Memories - Cholera in 1832

Comment

There was a major cholera epidemic in 1832.
          Lots of people in the Bilston area died too. My rellies in Bilston survived that one, but alot of them died in the 1849 epidemic instead.
          Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Those are the only deaths recorded for August 1832. There are only two other deaths between Aug and Dec 1832. Then two deaths in 1833 and four in 1834 up to Nov. I can't see the previous page and the Horniman entries are at the top of the sheet. As you see, the Quaker community was so small it's not very representative!!

Comment

That is very sad Merry.

I definitely think they died of a contagious illness; there would have been no way that three from one family died within days of one another. I think if the mother was nursing all of them then she probably didn't leave the house much, so the illness would have been pretty much contained.

How tragic for her.

Joanie

Comment

Maybe there was an area of the graveyeard for cholera deaths.
                Gwynne

Comment

i know that sometimes when i have been looking at the parish registers it give cause of death on them

Comment

I expect they went into the Quaker burial ground and the Quakers didn't record the positioning of graves and generally they didn't go in for any grave markers at this time :o

Comment

It's odd that my contact knew the dates of death of the children, but only had 1832 for the father, apparently knew the cause of death but didn't know where they were buried. I know from my own research sometimes it is possible to have elements of the information available when it has been taken from a different to normal source, but I'm stumped with this one.....

Of course I do wonder if anything relevant was written on the previous page!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                        That is very sad Merry.

I think if the mother was nursing all of them then she probably didn't leave the house much, so the illness would have been pretty much contained.

How tragic for her.

Yes, awful.

She did have two surviving children from this marriage and had a second marriage which lasted nearly 50 years and another son. She died aged 86 55 years after the events in this thread. I wonder how many times she thought about them in all those years?

Comment

Merry

I have told before about my 6 x GGM, who lost her first six children in the space of 23 days in the early 1700s, from smallpox. She went on to have another 13 children and she outlived all of them - all died young, only two reaching adulthood, and only one living long enough to have children.

She was a widow for 16 years and I often think she must have sat there wondering what her life had all been about.

It isn't till you see it in black and white that it hits you, is it.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Merry

It isn't till you see it in black and white that it hits you, is it.

OC
                            Quite right. I have had these partial dates on my tree for years, but seeing them is quite different.

Comment

I got quite upset when I found 3 sets of children (ie children of 3 sets of parents) who were all cousins and all died within two months in the summer of 1842. They weren't even my relatives!

And working out that my gt grandmother was pregnant on two different occasions when she had to register another child's death also made me sad.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                              X