X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Record ... unable to read

the Cause of discharge

Any ideas appreciated

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Hi Rachel,
    i'm just wondering if we had more writing, whether it would help decipher it.

Completion of 1st period ...

is all I've got so far ...
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Hi Louise
      here's some more not much help though ....

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Could it be 'Head Injury'!

Comment

I think the entry on the 'Place of Discharge' line reads "Completion of 1st period Lim'd Eng----" and is probably meant to be 'Completion of 1st period limited engagement'.

The entry on the next line looks like "Cleared in J"

Comment

Perhaps last bit is "of 2nd engagement"

ie on completion of 1st period of 2nd engagement?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

looks like graduated to me brenda xxx

Comment

Thank you maggie, hughar and JBee

I'm peering at a duplicate page "Service at Home and Abroad" which has more at the top

Home ... from 7/9/76 to 11/7/78 (which could fit the 'cleared in J')
                Cyprus .... 12/7/79 to 27/4/83
                Home ..... 28/4/83 to 4/5/83
                .............. 5/5/83 to 6/9/88

Ooops ... Hello Brenda .... you sneaked in as I typed

Comment

Well those dates explain why I've never found him in 1881

Anyone know what was going on in Cyprus ?

Comment

i know there was a cyprut war in 1950,s brenda xxx

Comment

You'd think the clerk would know what bit went where on the form.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh wow

I've googled war in Cyprus 1879 and there's a Mont Troodos mentioned
                        My ancestor gave one of his daughters the middle name Troodos !

I always thought this was the incomprehensible writing of the enumerator

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                          Oh wow

I've googled war in Cyprus 1879 and there's a Mont Troodos mentioned
                          My ancestor gave one of his daughters the middle name Troodos !

I always thought this was the incomprehensible writing of the enumerator

lol My mum and grandparents used to live on Mount Troödos and years later gran's bungalow back here was called "Troödos" on the offchance someone would ask why and then gran could let them know she had "lived abroad"

I think your entry says "Head Inj"

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                            i know there was a cyprut war in 1950,s brenda xxx
                            Yes there was Bren my friend was born in a military ambulance on the way to Nicosia during the 'conflict' her family was stationed there for many years.

I think there's always been a British Military presence going back a long long time on the Island.

I've driven through the Trooudos (sp) mountains...

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

I think your entry says "Head Inj"
                              Hmmmmmph .... the plot thickens

I've been through the other pages and there's one dated 28th August 1888 which has :-

Injuries in or by the Service ..... None

So if that does say "head injury" then it happened between 28th Aug and 6th Sept

Comment

Mount Troodos is where OC went on her hols, isn't it? Spooky or what.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

:o well you can see how well travelled I am and how 'rubbish' I am at geography:D

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                                    Yes there was Bren my friend was born in a military ambulance on the way to Nicosia during the 'conflict' her family was stationed there for many years.

I think there's always been a British Military presence going back a long long time on the Island.

I've driven through the Trooudos (sp) mountains...

i knew there was because my brother was sent there in the army,he came back a wreck of a man,got depressed finished up on tablets and drinking and died aged 47.he had no choice as he was called up.he hated it.he saw some awfull things.my hubby was stationed in tripoli the same time brenda xxx

Comment

Rachel,

is it a service record on Ancestry?
                                      perhaps if you give us the name, we could have a look.
                                      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

thanks for the suggestion Louise but there are only a few pages and no clues anywhere.
                                        There's nothing on he censuses to suggest that he may have been injured and there's nothing in the Ancestry WW1 Pensions

I'm not a direct descendant so it's only my curiosity

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 11-05-08, 23:25.

Comment

Working...
                                        X