Help... I'm lost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... I'm lost.

Just signed on and a bit confused. (I am an Octogenerian, a bit thick and a computer illiterate.

A few years ago, with the help of one of the ancestral sites, County Archives etc. I traced back on both sides of my family to members born in the 1790's.

Am I right in presuming that because of the 100 year rule, it would be impossible to put the process in reverse and sideways to try and locate distant family members alive and kicking today ?? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, and nice to meet you all.

Hello Jonlok and welcome to the forum. Don't worry about your age,some of us are hundreds of years old!

No, it is not impossible to trace forward, but can be a bit tricky the nearer you get to the present. There is no 100-year rule for bmd certs but you do have to pay for them.

Give us an example of someone you want to trace forwards and we will help you. Please don't put info about living people on here though - that information can be given in a private message to anyone who offers to help.

OC

Comment

Hello Old Crone Holden.. That was a quick respnse. Thanks. A man could get seriously lost in here.
      The family I would be interested to locate, are the relatives of my Grandparents William and Isabella Myers who are last found in 1901 at Stonelands Farm in Littondale in Nth Yorks. (Settle & Skipton area). I have contact with the remaining relatives there, but William had a brother Thomas and a sister Ann and I wondered if it would be possible to locate any survivors of their family.
      William & Thomas were farmers, who through inheritance were able to have built in 1885 a ship of1781 tonnage ( named Penyghent) which unfortunately foundered on an early voyage trading with Russia. The insurance was somehow fouled and it was rather downhill all the way from then.
      I have few details for Thomas and Ann, but I think Thomas's wife was a Grace Margaret and I have some vague refeence to Easthope (Shropshire ?) as a place of residence. Ann married a James Whaley Marshall.

It seems an uphill battle to pursue but if you are able to suggest a way forward I would be very grateful.

All a bit vague, but if you able to suggest

Comment

Hi jonlok,

I am sure you will receive some good suggestions on here.

Just one bit of interest if you register with the site Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home (you need to put a username and a valid email in order for them to send password etc., but otherwise you seem to be able to enter 'none' to the other questions and 'international' from the drop down menu) - then log onto the site and scroll down to
        British Newspapers 1600-1900, click on there and enter the name Penyghent and the date 8 May 1888. You should find four newspaper references to the collision the ship was involved in.

Good luck with your research.

Ice

Comment

Hi There

I asume this is the marriage for Thomas

Thomas Myers M Grace Margaret Drew 2nd Qtr 1883 in Pancras (Middlesex)
          Vol - 1b Page 166
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

in 1891 Thomas and family are living in Rylstone, Yorkshire

Address, Rylstone House (RG12; Piece: 3503; Folio 152; Page 4)

Head - Thomas age 39 b.Pennyghent House, Nr Settle, Yorkshire
            Wife - Grace Margaret age 35 b. Walton on Thames, Surrey
            son - Thomas Rathmell age 6
            Dau - Sybil age 5
            Dau - Grace Margaret age 4
            Son - George Henry age 4
            Son - Joseph age 3
            Son - William age 2
            son - Philip Malcolm age 1

All children born Yorkshire

Some of those children should be easy(ish) to trace
            Last edited by vikki brace; 09-05-08, 15:16.
            Vikki -

Comment

James Whaley Marshall
              born Sep 1849 Lancaster

Married Dec 1882 to Anne Myers

Died Dec 1904 Lancaster.

Will have a look on census.

Lin
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

1901 Census

Common Hill Lancaster

James W Marshall 51 Solicitor Lancaster
                Ann Marshall 46 Lancaster
                Annie R Marshall Daug 9 Hulton Gill?
                Also living with them are a mothers help and 2 servants

1891 Common Hill

James W Marshall 41
                Annie Marshall 35
                James Marshall Son 5 Lancaster

and 2 servants.

I'll see where James is in 1901.

Lin
                Lin

Comment

Icenianchild... My thanks. I will have a look at that site when you all give me time to gather my breath. I do already have full details of the demise of the good ship Penyghent from Lloyds Archives, but a press report would be interesting.

Vikki brace... Wow. You have knocked me for six !!!! I live only 3 miles from Rylstone House, and I had no idea of the connection. I knew some part of the family had a Rylstone connection but did not know it was Thomas and that it was Rylstone Ho. The only reference I had was that a John Armistead Myers aged 2 days and from Rylstone was buried at the family church at Arncliffe in Littondale.

I am well and truly in shock.... Absolutely marvelous.

Comment

There are loads of James Marshalls born 1885-6 in Lancs

The most likely one as his father is a solicitor is at Harrow School in 1901

Perhaps some one else could come up with something more solid.

Lin
                    Lin

Comment

Ok, here is Thomas and family in 1901

33 Barrowdale Road, Lancaster, Lancashire (RG13; Piece: 3989; Folio: 6; Page: 3)

Head - Thomas age 49 - Occ Wine Merchants Assisstant
                      Wife - Grace age 45
                      Son - Thomas R age 16 - occ, Organist, music
                      Dau - Sybil age 15
                      Son - Joseph age 13
                      Son - William Age 12
                      Son - Phillip M age 10
                      Dau - Barbara E age 3 - Born Lancaster
                      Dau - Catherine V age 1 - Born Lancaster
                      Vikki -

Comment

Do you have access to the census? if not I can email you copies of the 2 pages.

if you click on my name, above my fairy picture - you will see an option to send a private message, send on to me with your email address and I can forward them on to you.

Glad I could help
                        Vikki -

Comment

The correct James Marshall is the Solicitor from Lancaster.I note his daughter aged 9 at Hulton Gill (actually Halton Gill, a tiny upper Dale Hamlet very much central to family history). Also I can recall asking my Mother where the money had come from to turn 2 hill farmers into ship owners. She wasn't sure but believed it to be a from a family of Solicitors in Lancashire.

You all astound me ! If anyone is interested, the ship Penyghent was bound from Constantinople to Odessa loaded with coal and was in collision with steamer Tsar 165 miles north on Bosphorus. No loss of life. So although I know where the family money had disappeared, I now know where it came from.

You are all amazing.

Comment

2 Sybil marriages? Her birth appears not to have a second name so is it the second one in Shropshire?(Madeley)

Marriages Jun 1919 (>99%)
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myers Sybil L Lloyd Sheffield 9c 1330

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Marriages Jun 1926 (87%)

Myers Sybil Pattinson Madeley 6a 1463
                            Pattinson Arthur M Myers Madeley 6a 1463

Oh, may be it is Shropshire, found Catherine V Myers in that area too?

Marriages Jun 1922 (>99%)

EDWARDS Harold W Myers Bridgnorth 6a 1471
                            Myers Catherine V Edwards Bridgworth 6a 1471
                            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 09-05-08, 18:02.

Comment

Welcome, Jonlok, to FTF!

I think you could find present-day descendants of your family.

First stop is to look at the GEDCOMs held on this site - the blue bar at the top. Look for your surnames.

Secondly, use Ancestry.com to look at family trees on that site. Enter one of your main ancestors and see if you get any matches.

Thirdly, if you belong to Genes Reunited you can search their trees. If you don't belong, a PM to me or one of the others might help. (PM - private message - see above top right hand corner under your name).

If you want to know anything specific, just ask! We are all really friendly! [And OC isn't as old as she makes out, although she has the wisdom of Methusulah!]
                              Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 09-05-08, 18:01.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oh yes, welcome Jon And Im afraid our Len probably beats you in the age stakes and he is our font of all things wise on the general board

Comment

Thomas Rathmell Myers b.1884 Wharfedale, Yorkshire
                                  Sybil Myers b.1885 Wharfedale, Yorkshire
                                  Grace Margaret Myers b.1887 Skipton, Yorkshire
                                  Joseph Myers b.c1888
                                  William Myers b.c1889
                                  Philip Malcolm Myers b.1890 Skipton, Yorkshire
                                  Catherine Verity Myers b.1899 Lancaster, Lancashire
                                  Barbara Ellison Myers b.1897 Lancaster, Lancashire

As some of the children have middle names it can make forward searching a little easier
                                  Vikki -

Comment

jon,this site beats all other,s and its unbeleiveable how quick they help,yes you need to take a deep breath as your answers will come quick and fast.brenda xxx

Comment

Thank you Lin.. Sorry but I have been pressing the wrong buttons and seemingly sent my reply to Vikki, who has`also sent me a very valuable result.

You got correct person with the Lancaster solicitor which was confirmed by the reference to Halton Gill.

Hope I hit the right button with this reply !! You are all amazing.

Comment

Welcome Jonlok

Another way of tracing forwards could be to look for wills - if you're lucky they may have left wills and mentioned any children or other family members in them.

Jackie
                                        Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                        X