The right one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right one?

I thought I had this bit of the family sorted out, but I have just received some information that makes me doubt myself.

I have Henry Tatam baptised Stamford Lincs 1773, the son of Henry Tatam and Ann Fothergill.

Henry jnr married Mary Askren (baptised 1770) in Stamford 1795.

They had 4 children, (info in the IGI). The parish registers of the baptism of two of the children give Henry's occupation as Druggist.

There are two deaths in Stamford in 1803, both buried St Michael.

April 14th Henry Tatam age 30, Glazier
    April 29th Mary Tatam age 33 widow

I have the letter of administration for Henry Tatam dated January 1804 which gives custody of the four children to his father. He is described as a widower.
    That is definitely my Henry and the time fits for the above death to be him.

I was happy that the above deaths were my couple, even though Henry died before Mary, but why the change of occupation?

Henry is a common Tatam name and there is another one born Stamford 1779 but he would have been only 25 in 1803.

There is another Tatam a generation earlier whose occupation has been transcribed as grazier. (Grazier/glazier, it makes me wonder!) I have not found a son Henry for him as yet.

Can I assume that I have the correct death for my Henry? Druggist to glazier seems quite an occupation change.
    Last edited by KiwiChris; 09-05-08, 06:34.
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

is this burial one of yours?

Name Henry TATAM
    Date 30 Mar 1812
    Aged 69
    Place Stamford
    Description St Michael
    Denomination Anglican
    County code LIN

Not that it helps establish the glazier/druggist thing though
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Yes, he is mine and is Henry the father, who was given custody of the grandchildren. As an aside, he is believed to have designed the Stamford Town Hall!

Three generations of Henry gets a little confusing, especially as two of them had wives called Mary!
      Christine
      Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
      Mary Jean Iron

Comment

I wonder if his business as a druggist failed and so he had to get a job?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
        X