Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 8th May 2008 is.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA? 8th May 2008 is.......

gloryer!!

What is it we are not going to get anywhere with??! lol

Good luck Gloryer - let's hope that you have loads of success with your problem people
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Best of luck Gloryer, hope your walls tumble..

]

Comment

congratulations,hope all your walls come tumbling down brenda xxx

Comment

Congratulations Gloryer go girl get those walls knocked down ;;
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

woohoo thank you thank you

Comment

Okay then lets take a deep breath and begin. This really is my only brick wall.
              Maria BUTLER. I know some of you have done look ups before on this one but so far not got anywhere with her.
              Maria BUTLER married William PEARSON on 2 Aug 1890 at Northfleet.

Cityark - Search Results

She is aged 20 and gives her fathers name as William BUTLER labourer.
              1891 and 1901 she gives her birth place a Woolwich. THere appears to be no birth registration for her and so far I have not found a baptism. I did hire a film and viewed it at the LDS centre. But there are several films for the area but not all covering her birth year..
              1881 sees her in the Metropolitan district school along with brother Charles BUTLER c1867 Woolwich. Both are said to be each others nearest living relative and both illegitimate and both C of E.

At first glance they appear to be on the 1871 census but this Maria later appears with her family under her married name of Shurety. Unless I am missing something here!!!!!

I would love to find out who her parents were or at least the mother. I tried looking for a female BUTLER death prior to their admittance into the school but have drawn a blank on that one BUT anothe open mind may have another approach at crashing down this brick wall. I will just get my notes to get the dates for their admission and discharge.

Comment

Both were admitted on 25th Jan 1878. Maria discharged 22 June 1885. Charles discharge 13 June 1882. Name of informant R.O.

And thats about as much as I have. I have not tracked down Charles after he left the school. I did wonder if I found a marriage for him what he would have put for his fathers name.

Comment

the BACK family

the only other one that I am a bit stuck on is the BACK family. on 1841 census I have a Henry Gurr b 1803 and wife ELizabeth b 1808 Macclesfield living in Kent. I think they are in Staplehurst or neighbouring village. ELizabeth's maiden name is BACK. In the adjoining cottage thereis a Richard BACK of an age that could be Elizabeths father. I ordered his death certificate to try to confirm this but it said the informant was James Freed which would be Elizabeth's son in law. Her daughter Elizabeth Gurr married James Freed so not exactly concrete evidence. I believe Henry Gurr's brother Stephen Gurr is married to ELizabeth Back's sister Mary as she is also born Macclesfield 1811.

There is a marriage in the parish records of a Richard Back and Hannah Holinshead at Macclesfield 19 Nov 1798. So I wonder if Richard went to Macclesfield from Kent married had 2 daughters then his wife died so he returned to Kent with the 2 daughters!!!!
                  Not found any baptisms for Elizabeth or Mary to confirm this either.

Comment

Just so it doesn't look as if we've all been ignoring you, Gloryer, I would like to say that I've been looking all over for these Backs, but found nothing! It doesn't look as if Macclesfield PR's are available online unless they're somewhere I haven't looked. :(

Now, about these Butlers ... do you know for sure that Maria with Charles on those censuses is your Maria, and not the other one?
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

HI kiterunner, I couldnt remember who it was that had been looking at the parish register for Macclesfield as I deleted all my messages. Sorry.

Charles and Maria are together in 1881 census at the Metropolitan district school. They are both said to be each others nearest living relation in the school admissions. That is the only census I have them on together. I have not been able to track Charles after he is discharged from the school.

Comment

I haven't been looking at Macclesfield PR's - I was just searching on the internet for them.

What I meant was, if there is another Maria and Charles who aren't yours, are you sure that those 1881 ones aren't the "other" ones? Sorry, got to go now.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

lol I see what you mean. The other Butler family with Charles and Maria were born Hampstead. However it is really strange as the Maria and Charles are the same ages and father is William as my Maria declared on her marriage.

FamilySearch.org - Search

Sorry but the link only takes you to the search page.
                          Last edited by gloryer; 09-05-08, 21:24.

Comment

Okay, just so we have the info on the "other" Charles and Maria from 1871 to start us off, there is one entry which is crossed out giving the children's birthplace just as "London", and also this "special schedule record (? or received) from police":
                            Van in Field Showman's Caravan
                            William Butler Head Mar 45 Lab Midx Hampstead
                            Maria B Wife Mar 45 Cornwall Lands End
                            John Do Son 12 Midx Hampstead
                            Eliza Do Daur 10 Do Do
                            George Do Son 8 Do Do
                            Charles Do Son 4 Do Do
                            Maria Do Daur 1 Do Do

I suppose what we need to do is try to rule this family out, perhaps by finding them in 1881?
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Okay, yes, they are listed in 1881 on a very damaged page, and Charles and Maria are both with them, so it does look as though they are the wrong family.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

And I'm getting nowhere looking for the right Charles and Maria on the 1871. Bother!
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Yes the thing about the other Butler family being in a caravan and being crossed out makes it intriguing, but then they are rewritten.
                                  Not sure if the 1891 or 1901 has the other Maria living with her parents but as Maria Shurety

Comment

I saw it earlier, think it was 1891.

Talking of 1891, there is a Charles Butler age 23 born Deptford living at 4 Chester St., Greenwich as a lodger and working as a General Labourer. Unmarried. But there are two Charles Butlers of the right age born Deptford in 1881, so I don't think that's him.
                                    Sorry, that's not much help! And I can't find the right Charles in 1901 either.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

I'm so sorry, but my doctor has barred me from having another try for Maria and Charles :o.......in case they have to bring me a straightjacket!

Comment

:

lol

Somewhere on the 1861 census are the potential parents for these two little waifs and strays.

It is such a strange coincidence about the other Maria and Charles being of the same age and their father being William also. I wondered if I was missing something there to connect them but its not them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X