Build a family tree with Powerpoint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build a family tree with Powerpoint?

I have been searching much of the available Family Tree Software to see if their family trees can be transferred to slide show software keeping their focus and finding that they can't.
    I have never used Powerpoint and don't want to buy it unless it can be of use to me so my question is:
    Is it possible to create a family tree showing details in text and small individual photographs using Powerpoint and if so will the image keep its focus when transferred to slide show software?

I'm not sure, but ...

Hi BML,

I imagine that you could put together a family tree using PowerPoint, but I’d expect it would be a long and tedious process compared to using a genealogy program. Of course, it depends on the number of individuals you want to include.

I don’t know what slideshow program you’re using, but I suspect that’s where your focus problem originates. Do you know what resolution (i.e., number of pixels x number of lines) the program uses? If the input image (e.g., a family tree) is saved at a higher resolution than the output image (i.e., individual slide), the program will ‘shrink’ the input image so that it fits, which may be why it appears unfocussed. If you can resize the tree yourself to match the slide size, and still read it clearly, save it at that size and your slideshow output should also be clear.

I’m not an expert on this, but seeing as no one else seems to have an answer, I thought I’d offer my opinion for what it’s worth.

Hope this helps –

Tim

P.S. What slideshow software are you using? Perhaps if you Google the name of the program together with 'focus' and 'problem', there might be some information online that will help.
    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

I have PowerPoint, and you certainly wouldn't want to use it to create a tree from scratch, but I don't think that's what BML was asking.

I'm not very familiar with PowerPoint, but I don't think you could import a gedcom into it to turn it into a slide show. I've had a quick look at the various import options, and I can't see a way of doing it.

Comment

Powerpoint is basically a slide show application. It has organisation chart options but unless you were going to do a basic slide show with a chart showing pedigree to explain or back up other information I wouldn't use it for doing a family tree.

It certainly won't import a gedcom and you would have to create it from scratch and it has limitations, the org chart option is basically for reporting structures/managers.

Comment

I also have Powerpoint and have used it successfully to illustrate parts of Family History. I have never tried to create a tree from this medium, and I am not sure that it would do that very well, but if you want to say create a slide show about a part of someone's life, using pictures and text then this would do it very well. I have done one for my own evacuation during second world war using a mix of old photos, modern photos and text and siren sounds at the beginning with all clear to finish. Obviously the better the photo the better the presentation. My early black and white photos have suffered damage over the years and this has come through on the presentation though I have been able to clean up many of the photos. Photos taken with my digital cameras have been better than earlier ones but by and large I have not found any problems with focus whenever I have used it, but I will also add that I am no expert on this.

I am not sure if this is the sort of thing you would want to use it for? I have started on a project for my Great Grandfather and his life in a village and going on to include his life in the army but have preferred to do that on Microsoft Publisher as there is more text than pictures.

My actual tree is on the equivalent Family History Programme on the computer, but with the introduction of new Windows programmes like Vista and now Windows 7, I can see the advantage of getting your family history programme into something like Powerpoint because I am already worried about the demise of my Generations Grande Suite 5 which I was able to update to Windows XP but doubt will update to Vista never mind Windows 7 and this must be a worry for all of us using various Family History programmes on our computers. I know some people use Excel because of this, though have not gone down that road myself.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 10-05-08, 11:48.

Comment

BML, have you tried looking at the OpenOffice suite? It's the free equivalent of Microsoft Office; I know it has Word and Excel type programs, and I assume it also has a PowerPoint equivalent.

Comment

Working...
            X