Calling anyone who are researching the surname Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling anyone who are researching the surname Christmas

I am looking for a link to the surname Christmas.

A 5 year old boy in 1952 was the first person to be diagnosed with a bleeding condition, which was called Christmas disease after him, it is a condition which runs in my family and I am trying to find the link.

They must some how link with my Long family who are, so far, from the Bristol/Gloucestershire area.

If anyone thinks they can help please give us a shout.

Thanks
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Christmas Disease -- eCureMe.com

hyer Chrissy hope you feel better

Comment

Christmas Disease
      and this one

Comment

when researchers in England realized there were 2 types of hemophilia. They had been studying a 10-year-old boy with hemophilia named Stephen Christmas who didn't seem to have the "typical" disease. They called his version hemophilia B, or "Christmas disease," and the more prevalent kind hemophilia A, or "classic hemophilia."

In the United States, hemophilia affects more than 20,000 people. Christmas diseas

Comment

My mother's family has CHRISTMAS in the tree.

There is a lot of research extant. It's worth contacting Henry Christmas of the GoONS. He has extensive info on the tree - including the part researched in the 1970s by John Reeves of Soton.

I have quite a bit of info - but am about to go away for a while. If you PM me, I may get a chance to get online at some point.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Val, I have already got that info and still reading more

Christine, I'm still not sure how Christmas fit as yet other than it must be linked to my Long's, I am a carrier of Christmas disease, my father was a sufferer which must of come from his mothers side of the family.

But I will have a look at the Goons site thanks for the tip, hope you have a lovely time and that you are going somewhere nice.

Comment

Just here thinking about this, this lad was the first to be offically diagnose with the condition in this country, but it could of come from anywhere :(

"a needle in a haystack" springs to mind :D

Comment

One of my sisters suffers with something very similar, called Glanzmann Thrombobasthenia which stops her blood clotting properly, we were told there's only around 200 known cases world wide. She has to have a clotting factor given before any operation.
                Oddly enough her OH has something called Polycytheania Vera where the bone marrow produces too many red cells so caused clots. He sometimes has to go and give blood, not to donate though, to help thin it out. It's thought that is what his mum died of as it can be inherited.
                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

It is a rare condition and the fact that there were 5 males in the our family with the condition has earn us a place in medical history, not sure where the hell I would begin to look for it though

Comment

Have you seen this entry for Stephen Christmas?

Stephen Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It gives his date of birth so you may be able to trace back from there

Jackie
                    Jackie

Comment

Yes I have thanks Jackie, have goggled all day about Stephen and Christmas disease, learnt a thing or two a long the way, which isn't bad after living with it for 23 years

Comment

I presume any family link would be on his mother's line because of the way its inherited.

Jackie
                        Jackie

Comment

Thats correct Jackie, not sure how to link up with my Long (my fathers mother side) and though Stephen was the first offical diagnose, there were others before him with the condition.

It could have come from any women who married into the family as females are the carriers

I am slowly talking myself out of researching this as I really cant see how I can confirm the connection
                          Last edited by Chrissy Confused; 08-05-08, 18:03. Reason: to add

Comment

The only way I can see to do it would be to do Stephen's mother's family tree (maternal line only) until you find a common surname. Could be expensive and time consuming and, as you say, how far back is the link? You might get lucky though and find its not that far back.

As its a rare genetic disease would it be worth contacting the Oxford Haemophilia Centre - they may have looked into it when they first diagnosed the disease in Stephen. As you're a carrier, your interest is more than just genealogy.

Jackie
                            Jackie

Comment

Never thought of contacting Oxford and thinking about it my dad was and my nephew is a patient of their haemotology department, thanks for that Jackie :D

going off line now as hubby is taking me out for our anniversary

Comment

Have a nice evening

Jackie
                                Jackie

Comment

Chrissie, just because it is the same disease it does not mean that there will be a link between families. Christmas disease (Haemophilia B), like classic Heamophilia or Haemophilia A, occurs in all racial groups and like Haemophilia A can arise from a spontaneous mutation. Although it is the less common cause of Haemophilia it is not really that rare, I forget the incidence off the top of my head, but when I was working in this field in a city of 250,000 people we had 3 or 4 families with the disease.

So there may be a link between your family and the Christmas family but that link is as likely to be hundreds or thousands of years ago as it is to be more recent.

Or the gene may have occured in your family only in more recent years as the result of a gene which has mutated.

Is the disease in your family the severe form or a more mild one? If it is severe disease with levels of less than 1% then an interesting line for you to research would be to follow the women in the family and see what happened to their sons.

Boys with severe disease would not have lived very long in the days before blood transfusion, and you may be able to trace the maternal line which carried it, and the families who were affected.

Update: Just checked the incidence of the disease and it is about 1:50000, so in the city I was working that would average to about 5 people, which would be about right.

Steven Christmas was not the only person with the disease the group were studying at the time that they published the data, but they published in the Christmas edition of the Lancet and the link between the date and the name was too good to pass by.
                                  Last edited by KiwiChris; 08-05-08, 21:13.
                                  Christine
                                  Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
                                  Mary Jean Iron

Comment

I have Christmas people in my tree but we are all ok!
                                    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I read somewhere that some of the Christmas family are descended from foundlings abandoned at Christmas time and therefore there may be several completely unconnected families, whose true name isn't Christmas!

I would certainly contact your Consultant as there may be a medical genealogist studying this disease.

OC

Comment

I used to be in contact with Brian Christmas who was doing a one name study. He was a twin, so possibly the Henry mentioned above is his brother. I have ancestors in Surrey in the 1600s. I know of apparently unrelated families in Devon and Norfolk. I strongly suspect, like OC, that the surname relates to the date of birth (or activities related to Christmas) and that Christmasses do not all have a common ancestor.
                                        Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                                        X