PRs and BTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRs and BTs

I "sort of" know the difference between parish records and Bishops transcipts, but not sure.

I'm going to start doing some transcibing for Lancs OPC. I wanted to do Hawkshead as I know my David Kirkby was born there about 1730. His sister's birth is listed there as 1727.

However I've been told all the Hawkshead ones are done so the lady looked at Blawith (a close parish) and found some of the family there, so I've offered to do that parish.

Again, however, they've told me there are only Bishops' transcipts available. To my understanding the BTs are rewritten PRs.

Is there anything else I should know??

The Bishop's Transcripts are basically copied out PR's, but often there is less info in the BT's than there was in the original PR's.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That's about what I thought KiteRunner. Thanks.

Comment

That's a bit odd, Libby, because PRs for Blawith definitely exist - they've been microfilmed by the LDS:

Topic details ('England, Lancashire, Blawith - Church records')

UPDATE: Actually it's not clear from the film notes whether there's only a transcript or the original registers.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-05-08, 13:23.

Comment

The following are available for Blawith-

Bishop's transcripts for Blawith, 1746-1875 Church of England. Chapelry of Blawith (Lancashire) on 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.
          Parish register transcripts, 1728-1837 Church of England. Parish Church of Blawith on 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.
          Parish registers, 1709-1902 Church of England. Chapelry of Blawith (Lancashire)
          Record contains churchwardens records, 1709-1732, 1766-1828, 1829-1840, Overseers of the poor accounts, 1726-1814, baptisms, 1728-1795, burials, 1746-1777, 1728-1743, poor money distributed, 1736-1806, account of constables, 1733-1804, marriages, 1763-1794, 1736-1763, memorandum, last wills and testaments of Mary Redhead and William Lancaster, baptisms, 1795-1812, confirmations, 1820-1838, burials, 1796-1812, marriages, 1797-1812, accounts 1820-1841, marriages, 1813-1902.
          High reduction (42x) microfilm. Use high magnification reader.
          The register of Ulverston Parish Church Church of England. Parish Church of Ulverston
          Contents: pt. 1. Christenings, 1545-1675; marriages, 1545-1698; burials, 1545-1763; and chronicles of the church and town of Ulverston -- pt. 2. Christenings, 1676-1812; marriages, 1698-1813; burials, 1765- 1812; index; entries for Lowick, christenings, 1715-1741; Lowick and Blawith, marriages, 1792-1812; and Egton-cum-Newland, christenings and burials, 1792-1812. Photocopy of original transcripts published: Ulverston : J. Atkinson, 1886.
          The registers of the chapel of Blawith in the parish of Ulverston : baptisms and burials, 1728-1837; marriages, 1730-1837 Dickinson, Robert
          Lancashire Parish Register Society by R. Seed and Sons. Includes indexes.

The problem is possibly that the (lds filmed) records are on microfilm rather than fiche.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Tip.
            When researching try to view both the Parish Registers and the Bishop's Transcripts.
            They should match but sometimes vary.

What was supposed to happen was every week the records of baptisms, marriages and burials were supposed to be transcribed from the day book into the parish register.
            Four times a year transcripts of the Parish Register entries were supposed to be sent to the Archbishop.

This did not always happen, sometimes events were missed when transcribing from the day book. Other times the rector of churchwardens would take the opportunity to get rid of the scruffy register by sending the Archbishop leaves from the register and transcribing a new register for themselves.
            In other cases the Archbishops transcripts were made from the day book with mistakes rectified.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Last edited by Guy; 08-05-08, 20:45.
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I'm dying to know how you get on Harrys mum, as I was just thinking yesterday of having a go on the Westmorland BTs or PRs............. as there's no proper site at the moment and they're always looking for volunteers and co-ordinators.

Jean
              Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Guy..................I know the two records can vary.

I found a great one for Hawkshead. The original record had one of the Kirkby children as being the daughter of David and Agnes. It should have been Agatha.

The PR had:

Ann Kirkby - Child of David Kirkby & Agnes Addinson
                Born: 26 Nov 1778
                Abode: Thwaite
                Notes: See 1968 transcript; registered wrongly in list of burials

The Bishops Transcripts record exactly the following for Ann:

Ann daugh.t of David Kirkby of Thwaite Husbandman son of Wm Kirkby Thwaite Husbandman _ By Agnes his wife Daugh.t of Hugh Adinson [or possibly Adisson]of Colthouse Husbandman The Mother's Name Agatha D.r of Anthony Sawrey of Conistone waterh. Husbandman By Elis. his wife Born Nov.r the 26th day 1778 Baptized Dec: 28th day

It appears that this detail was missed when transcribing or it wasn't in the original Parish Register. Agnes was recorded as the wife of David Kirkby when in fact she was his mother (wife of William). THIS ONE UNUSUALLY DETAILED RECORD SHOWS:

Ann is the daughter of David Kirkby and Agatha (nee Sawrey). David is the son of William Kirkby and Agnes Adinson [or possibly Adisson]. Agatha is the daughter of Anthony Sawrey of Coniston Waterhead and Elisabeth. David's mother Agnes is the daughter of Hugh Adinson [or possibly Adisson].

So if possible see BOTH.

Good tip, Guy.

Comment

Come along now Libby. There's a severe shortage of transcriptions for my rellies in the Blawith/Lowick area. And the transcriptions for Cartmel Priory peter out before 1800.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Who do you want me to look for, Uncle John???

Hopefully I'll get the years I'm after which seem to be from about 1720 to 1760ish if that helps.

Obviously my lot decided to go to Grandma's parish to baptise first son.

Comment

Just pulling your leg, Libby. I haven't got my wish-list for "Lancashire north of the sands" in any semblance of order at the moment.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        Just pulling your leg, Libby. I haven't got my wish-list for "Lancashire north of the sands" in any semblance of order at the moment.

That's why I'm doing this......to get mine in order.

Comment

Working...
                        X