What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

I want to send for the marriage certificate for James Staines and Martha Dixon.

I have found two entries.

James Staines
    Martha Dickson 1843 July/Aug/Sep Bishops Stortford
    Vol 6 Pg 638

and

James Staines
    Martha Dixon 1843 Oct/Nov/Dec Bishops Stortford
    Vol 6 Pg 863

Could I have your opinions on this please.

Barbara

My opinion is there was a c**k-up at the GRO in 1843!!

If this was my family I would ask Bishops Stortford register office if they would mind trying to find the marriage and tell then you believe it took place at the church in Henham (just call me psychic!)

The Register Office, Riverside House, 2 Hockerill Street, Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, CM23 2DL.
    Tel: 01279 652273. Fax: 01279 461492

Comment

Wow Merry have you got a crystal ball lol.

Thanks Merry I will phone them tomorrow.

Barbara

Comment

Given the name James Staines is uncommon, I would guess there's only one marriagewhich either took place either in two venues (does happen very occasionally if the couple are of different denominations) or (more likely) took place on the first day or two of Q4 1843. If the return at the end of Q3 was sent late and the marriage was included by mistake though it was past of Q4 then that would cause the marriage to be indexed twice if at the end of Q4 the reported marriages included those right back to the start of Q4.

The spelling difference for Martha's surname could have occurred as I understand some of the records at the GRO were written out with a clerk reading the entries out, so it's easy to see how if the spelling wasn't checked the name might be spelled differently!

Comment

The images are good and it certainly looks like two different couples.

How common were those surnames in that area? I'd agree with Merry and ask.

Comment

I suppose we should check the other pairs:

Marriages Dec 1843
            Camp Isaac Bishops Stortford 6 863
            DIXON Martha Bishops Stortford 6 863
            Fuller Emma Bishops Stortford 6 863
            MANSFIELD Henry Bps Stortford 6 863
            Philips Peter Bps. Stortford 6 863
            Ricket Mary Bps Stortford 6 863
            STAINES James Bp's Stortford 6 863

From the 1851 census:

Isaac Camp married Mary Ricket
            Henry Mansfield married Emma Fuller
            Peter Philips married the missing lady!! lol

Comment

There were quite a few Staines in the village of Henham, not many Dixons though. I can't find Martha in 1841 census so hope marriage cert will give me more details to help find her parents. Martha was born in Elsenham.
              Thanks for your help. Hopefully I will be able to clear it up a bit tomorrow.

Barbara

Comment

I can only find one James and Martha Staines in 1851. There is a Martha and Joseph Staines.

The James and Martha have an older Joseph Staines (age 77) with them.

Comment

Well that's a blow. There's a death for a Martha Staines in 1847. Still could be two marriages!!

Comment

Two more deaths 1845 and 1849.

Comment

No Martha Dixon/Dickson in 1841 using Bish Stort as keyword.

There are 2 James Staines, both living Henham, one born 1791 and the other in 1811.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X