WW1 medals...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 medals...?

hi...can anyone tell me if there is a site for a names list for WW1 medals...a relative received 4, but his neice sold them...trying to trace what medals they were...his name was John Whitington,from Brighton...cheers...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

You can search on the National Archives site and Ancestry for WW1 medal cards.

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Advanced Search
    Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Allan,
      I remember seeing a site that registered medals, to try to reunite them to owners. I think I saw a reference to it on ebay, when I was looking for medals, I'll have a look again....I think there was a charge!

...sorry , just reread your post...I thought you were looking for the medals.
      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

thanks very much elaine...i found his reference number and he won 4 medals...i`ve just rung his grandaughter(my sister in law,)and she is over the moon...she called me a "star"...so I told her it was down to you....thanks again...you`ve made someone very happy...she can buy the ref no image of his decorations for just £3.50....she`s delighted......regards.allan;)
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Allan,

With four medals being awarded it is likey that the 4th would be the MM, this being the case I have had a look at the London Gazette and there is a Private J. Whitington of the Machine Gun Corps (service number 5286) of Brighton being "Gazetted" on 25th September 1917 (19th Supplement) for being in receipt of a Military Medal for bravery in the field.

don

Comment

thanks don....i`ll pass that info on now....will my sil be able to buy a copy of this ?..is it available to view online?..regards...allan

Comment

You can see the entry in the Gazette online, but it just has his name:

Home

For full details you'd need the citation.

Do you know where they can be found, Don? Australian ones are online, but I don't think English ones are.

Comment

There's an explanation of medal cards here, because they're not easy to understand:

Interpreting medal index cards

Has your SIL bought it yet? If not, you may be able to find it on Ancestry.

Comment

sorry Allan, I should have included the link to it in my first post.

Gazette Website: PDF Navigator

You will find the entry that you want in the right hand column and you can print it off direct from the Gazette site. It may also pay you to have a look on the Times on line site for that date period as well to see if he has a mention in there, that is if you can get access to it via your local library service.
                  don

Comment

thanks mary....all this info will delight his grandaughter..(my sister in law).....allan...added...thanks don....

Comment

Allan have found them on Ancestry... do you want the images??
                      Last edited by Raven; 09-05-08, 09:40.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

yes please Raven....i`ve just printed off the supplement list for 28th september 1917...s.i.l.will be thrilled....she wants to get all the info for her eldest son....regards...allan;)

Comment

will you pm me your email addy and I will send them...

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                          Raven's Family Tree

Comment

thank you all for your brilliant help....its very much appreciated...you have all made my sister in law very very happy.....regards...allan

Comment

Has anyone looked for his service record on Ancestry?

Comment

I didn't Mary...

Raven's Wiki Page
                                Raven's Family Tree

Comment

not yet mary...i`m decoding all the info on his medal card (great info raven)....i googled WW1 Medal Cards ,and found a site that helps you to decipher all the details...ie...mgc/101B2.......machine gun corps in Iraq????.....didn`t know Iraq existed in 1917..regards...allan
                                  if you can retrieve any in fo from Ancestry ,i would appreciate it....allan

Comment

OK, I'll have a look in a minute.

Comment

Can't see him in the pension records or service records, but I don't think the service records on Ancestry are complete yet.

Comment

Oh, what a pity. I found a reference on Google to the medals on an auctioneer's site, but a search on the current page of the site doesn't find them, so I assume they've already been sold.

If you search for Whitington 5286 (which was his service number) you get this result:

[PDF] Spink 7022 text pages copyFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
                                        Military Medal, G.V.R. (5286 Pte. J. Whitington. 90/Coy. M.G.C.); British War and Victory Medals (5286 Pte. J. Whitington. M.G.C.); General Service 1918-62, ...
                                        www.spink-online.com/auctions/pdf/7022.pdf - Similar pages
                                        but the pdf file doesn't come up if you click on it.

I searched for medals here:

Spink: Dealers and Auctioneers in Coins, Medals, Stamps, Banknotes & Books since 1666

but there was no result in the current catalogue.

You can search the old catalogues, which have photos, but the search facility isn't working properly for me at the moment.

Might be worth e-mailing them, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X