BMDregisters.co.uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMDregisters.co.uk

I have never used the above site, but have decided to take the plunge!

Can someone tell me the difference between viewing a full record and viewing a page image?

Are there any particular pitfalls I might fall into?

I have seen that some records appear elsewhere (such as burials for London on FindMyPast).......any tips about where it is best to buy these records??

Whist I can see how much credits cost, I can't see if they expire after a given length of time............

Comment

I've only used it once, but it was well worth it.

Check the IGI first, because some IGI records are on this site too.

I would recommend getting the image and not the transcription, because in my case the image had a bit more information than the transcription, and it costs twice as much if you get both.

It doesn't seem to say how long credits last.

Comment

I don't know about burials, but the Dr Williams Library birth entry that I looked at on BMD Registers, although it does also appear on the IGI, there is a lot more info in the entry on BMD Registers than there is on the IGI - grandparents' names, addresses, occupations, etc. I wouldn't think there could be much extra info in a burial entry, though, could there? And if the burial is on Family History Online then it is likely to have all the info on there.

Family History Online belongs to the FHS's and BMD Registers belongs to S & N Genealogy, which I suppose is worth bearing in mind if you have a choice of who to pay your money to!

But if the full entry isn't going to be available elsewhere, then I would say bite the bullet and pay to view the full image on BMD Registers. I made the mistake of selecting to view the transcription the first time and regretted it!

As for how long credits last, I think I used all mine up straight away, so I can't say.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks very much you two.....I will give it a go this evening! (have to be able to concentrate!)

Comment

Mine was a Dr Williams library entry, too. It gave me 3 generations of the family.

Comment

*starts praying for the same*

When I see baptism entries in RG4 and "duplicated" in RG5 and it says something about the county being different, but that you may have already viewed the entry, would I presume the London entry is because the record is in some centralised record and the other entry is listed in the County the bap actually took place?

Comment

Yes I think I had one of those and it was because both the Dr Williams library entry, and the original chapel register had been deposited
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith!

Makes me want to start looking now, but it wouldn't be wise....OH has taken children to the park, but he will be back in a few mins :( lol

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post

Family History Online belongs to the FHS's and BMD Registers belongs to S & N Genealogy, which I suppose is worth bearing in mind if you have a choice of who to pay your money to!
                    Unfortunately not correct, Family History Online used to belong to the Federation of Family History Societies until it was involved in a partnership deal with "Findmypast.com" (owned by Title Research Group).
                    Findmypast.com has been taken over by Scotland Online a Ltd company based in Dundee & Edinburgh.

Therefore one has the choice in this case of using either of two Ltd companies for access S&N Genealogy or Scotland Online.
                    Cheers
                    Guy
                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I don't mind who has my money....I just want to get the best info I can; preferably for the least number of pounds!!

Comment

Well Merry, have you got them? Im dying to know lol..

]

Comment

Nope. :(:(

OH has decided to add a load of rellies to our tree this evening, which means I can't access it at the same time. Also, when he's finished I have to try and look at what he's been doing, as if I ask my tree program to analyse the data on it for possible errors, it's funny how everything that needs investigating is always the part he has entered. :(

Comment

Wait till he has a loo break.

Comment

It doesn't work that way here!!

I need to do at least an hour of rummaging before I'm ready to do a lookup. In order for that to work, I should have either fed him copious prunes over the last two days, or numerous eggs! lol

Either way, my forward planning has failed!

Comment

My lot use a different church each time! LOL
                                Mavis
                                Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Id go with the prunes..:D

]

Comment

OK light.....maybe I can do the lookups on about Friday?

Is Mavis on the right thread??? lol

Comment

PMSL!

Do churches have loos?:D

]

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Light View Post
                                        PMSL!

Do churches have loos?:D
                                        Oh, very good!!!! :D:D:D

Comment

Working...
                                        X