Help with Scottish address needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Scottish address needed

OH is being difficult and so I am having to ask you to come to my rescue!

WendyP very kindly sent me a record from Scotlands People for a marriage of one of my relatives.

OH asked me for the details this morning to add them to our tree, but then complained that what I was telling him didn't apparently match the IGI rcord for the same event!!

On the IGI the marriage is said to have taken place at Govan, Lanark (same date and names as on the SP entry)

Here's the SP record.......now what does it say? I can read the following:

On the thirteenth
    day of February
    at 8 M???field Street
    T??????

After Banns according to
    the ???? of the Established
    Church of Scotland

Duncan Kennedy and Christina Macpherson marriage cert 1873.jpg

Am trying to make something say Govan, but I can't!

Any ideas please.........

Could it be Mansfield Street, Partick? A quick Google suggested that such a street might exist, and Partick is just above Govan on the map.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I thought it might be Mansfield St (not very near Mansfield, is it! lol)......but Partick....I was nowhere near that! I thought the first letter was a T, and I was fooled by looking at the bride's surname (MacPherson) as the P in that is completely different! However, had I taken the trouble to also look at the bride's father's bit i would have seen that his MacP is the same as in Partick!!!

So, I think you are right Kite! Thank you so much

Comment

I wonder if it's Mansfield Street ?

RootsWeb: LANARK-L Street Index/Govan (646-1) Lanark, Scotland

ooops you posted as I was looking .... mentioned in ED 24 on the list
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Rachel.....It's nice when more than one person thinks the same

Comment

Ooooo

Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Soc
            Unit 5
            22 Mansfield St
            Glasgow
            G11 5QP

and there's a Funeral Directors at no 18

Getting nearer ! :D
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

There was a Mansefield Street in Govan but it's now called Pearce Street and is G51

Did the record say Partick or Govan on it? Across the top?

There were Quakers in the area too.... is it you that has Quakers?

There is a Quaker burial ground in Partick too. It's Glasgows smallest graveyard.
              With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Thanks Rachel

Originally posted by BigShaz McCreadie View Post
                There was a Mansefield Street in Govan but it's now called Pearce Street and is G51

Did the record say Partick or Govan on it? Across the top?

There were Quakers in the area too.... is it you that has Quakers?

There is a Quaker burial ground in Partick too. It's Glasgows smallest graveyard.

Shaz, I don't know what was written along the top as Wendy cropped the image before she sent it to me! However, the IGI (extracted) record says Govan.

Yes, you are right(and clever to remember!) about me having Quakers on my tree, but they are a long, long way from this twiglet! The father of the bride, in this case, was a Primative Methodist Minister from Edinburgh!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  The father of the bride, in this case, was a Primative Methodist Minister from Edinburgh!
                  But was happy to let his daughter marry according to the rites of the established Church of Scotland!

BTW I go with the Mansfield Street Partick gang.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X