MSN help needed, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN help needed, please

I'm not usually computer-illiterate, but I'm getting stuck here. I need to have MSN up and running in time for the first Advisory Committee meeting tomorrow evening, and it's defeating me.

I went to the MSN site and downloaded the Messenger program offered for Windows 2000, which is what I have. I downloaded and installed it, and the version it gave me is Messenger 7.0.

However, when I try to sign in, it says there's a new version available, and I can't sign in without it - do I want it? If I say no, I can't sign in, if I say yes, it says it can't find the program and takes me back to the page of the MSN site where I originally downloaded 7.0.

The latest version seems to be 8.5, but from a quick Google, I get the impression that it won't work with Windows 2000.

Anyone know what I should be doing?

I don't know, but I still have version 7 and it is still letting me use it (on Windows ME). It's so annoying when it keeps telling you to upgrade to a version that isn't supposed to work on your computer when all you want to be able to do is to send instant messages. I don't really know how we got round that in the end last time round, to be honest, so I hope someone can help you.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you try -In messenger tools - options - you will find a connectivity troubleshooter

Tools is the tiny drop down arrow on the right hand side

Maybe you will have to delete it and download it again.

Last week when I signed in I got the message that a new version was available, once I started to download, it said I already had a higher version installed.
      Kathleen

Comment

I went back from newer version to 7-0 as didnt like the new one but still let me sign in ;;
        Hope you get sorted dear ;;;;
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Ah, I hadn't got as far as looking at Tools - Options, thanks.

In the meantime I've discovered that my version is 7.0.0816, and I've found a page where I can download 7.0.0820, which is compatible with Win2000, and I hope will solve the problem.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-05-08, 23:23.

Comment

OK, panic over, version 0820 seems to have worked.

Now to find out how it works. I may select a victim to try it out on if anyone's online

Comment

OK, it seems to be working all right.

Is anyone still awake that I can practise on? I had a quick look in the Members' list, but the people whose MSN addies are listed don't seem to be online.

Comment

Is there any way of getting rid of the wretched ads?

Comment

OK, I seem to have everything working properly, and I've just had a practice conversation with Elaine, who kindly volunteered.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

All I need to do now is remember not to keep hitting Enter...

Comment

Sorry Mary I had gone to bed, but I'm glad you got it to work.
                    I was wondering if you had anyone to practise with once you had got it working.

I still sometimes press enter at the end of the line before I have finished what I want to say; I'm usually talking to the grand children so having to concentrate hard to understand their 'text' type spellings.
                    Kathleen

Comment

what ads ????????? I dont get any

Comment

I get them at the bottom of the page, below where it says "search the Web".

I never use Internet Explorer normally, so I don't have any kind of adblocker for it, but MSN won't work without it.

Comment

I have never noticed them Mary ,and by the way congratulations for winning that post I voted for you.

Comment

Thanks, Val

If you haven't noticed the ads I should think you aren't getting them, because they're quite intrusive - a moving flash ad, and sometimes a pop-up photo.

How are you getting on with Firefox, by the way, or did you go back to IE?

Comment

I use both depends what I'm doing I quite like firefox now thankshttp://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/06/23/remove-ads-from-windows-live-messenger-with-a-patch-and-customize-messenger-options-and-visualisation/
                              have a look at that

Comment

Oh, well done, I hadn't started googling for solutions yet, thanks.

Comment

sorry Mary went off to get a proper link forgot I had not taken that off hope you find it okay

Comment

Working...
                                  X