Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone e-mailed the GRO and had a reply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone e-mailed the GRO and had a reply?

I've recently sent 2 e-mails to the GRO, including in the subject the letters GQ, as it says to do if you want more than an automated reply.

At least I think I did. When I click on the email address on the website, I get a message asking me what profile I want to use - Microsoft Outlook being the only option I have.

Neither of the messages I've sent are in my 'Sent Messages' folder, so I don't know now if I've sent them after all, or if they've disappeared to join missing rellies in hyperspace.

Just wondered if anyone else had had the same experience.
    The first message was sent last Sunday (27th Apr), so should have had an answer by now.
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

I wrote on 29th and 1st, haven't had any sort of reply yet. The second email I sent was a link to the other thread on here, where we are all waiting for certs!
    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

So's mine Sue.

The first e-mail, I'm not too bothered about, as I hope its now sorted via a phone call.
      The 2nd (sent on 30th) was after a phone call, when I realised I'd been done!
      Helen

Comment

I'd ring them much easier

Comment

I did ring them.

I'd sent for 3 death certificates for William, Elizabeth & Thomas Needham all registered in Bakewell.
          William & Elizabeth's were ok, but when they sent me a certificate for a Thomas Needham which was registered in Basford, I realised I'd mixed Thomas' GRO ref up with another that I hadn't sent for (Jane Needham, also Bakewell).
          My telephone call confirmed my error, but it was only after I'd hung up that I realised they should have sent me a partial refund not done a search.

I didn't get the district wrong - just the quarter & the page. Surely they should have realised that if I'd requested 3 certs with the same surname from the same district, one from a different district wouldn't be what I wanted?
          Helen

Comment

They always reply, but it often takes a few days.

However, it's odd that the messages aren't among your sent messages. You could try sending the message again, with a copy to yourself, so you know if it's been sent.

Comment

Helen I'm afraid they dont work like that if you get it wrong they send it or not , they dont check for the right one

Comment

Val, I know they don't work like that.

The incorrect ref I gave didn't match up to any Thomas Needham - didn't match any Needhams.

I wanted:
                Thomas Needham d Bakewell Dec 1857 vol 7b, page 383

I ordered:
                Thomas Needham d Bakewell Mar 1857 vol 7b page 401 (mixed up with Ref for Jane Needham in 1854)

and was sent:
                Thomas Needham d Basford Dec 1856 vol 7b page 75.
                Last edited by Helen Smith Too; 07-05-08, 14:35.
                Helen

Comment

That doesn't match any of your specifics.

They should at least send you the £4 refund - provided you return the unwanted cert.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X