Gurr from Staplehurst help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurr from Staplehurst help please

Just came across a marriage at Staplehurst of a George Augustus GURR and Jane Collins Love Brooker Dec 1875. George is 25 father Joseph Lathe render. I guess Georeg was born 1850 Cranbrook but can anybody find Joseph's familly prior to this please. Just wondering why I havent had his details attached to my tree before.
    Thank you

Not sure what you mean
    Here's Joseph and Martha (1841 census)

- Ancestry.co.uk

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

- Ancestry.co.uk

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

and 1851

- Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

thank you but I dont have access to ancestry. I wondered if Joseph was with his parents prior to the arrival of GEorge Augustus. I do have a Joseph Gurr but no date for him but he has a son Henry who married a Sarah Clout and her father is also called Joseph so am wondering if Joseph Gurr the father of GEorge Augustus is their son

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
            thank you but I dont have access to ancestry. I wondered if Joseph was with his parents prior to the arrival of GEorge Augustus. I do have a Joseph Gurr but no date for him but he has a son Henry who married a Sarah Clout and her father is also called Joseph so am wondering if Joseph Gurr the father of GEorge Augustus is their son
            :o Oh rats !

My typing is not good and takes forever

Hopefully someone else will click on the links in my posts and type out the information for you

1841 ... Joseph (aged 35) is not with anyone older
            Others in the household are
            Martha (30)
            Mark (5)
            Elizabeth (4)
            Stephen (?)
            and an Elizabeth aged 70 ... her surname is difficult to read but may well be Gurr although it does not have a ditto
            Last edited by Rachel Scand; 06-05-08, 22:09.

Comment

Joseph, lathe render in 1841 is 35 and head of household. He isn't with his parents. You would need to find his baptism to see who they were.

According to 1841 he was born in Kent abt 1806. (1841 census ages are supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5)

1851 his age is 57, but its the right chap as same household as George Augustus.
              1861 his age is 61, giving birth year of abt 1801.

1881 age consistent with birth abt 1801 (info from FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records)
              Mill Lane, Cranbrook, Kent,
              Frederick GURR Head M Male 36 Cranbrook, Kent, Lathender
              Mary Ann GURR Wife M Female 35 Cranbrook, Kent,
              Emily GURR Daur U Female 11 Cranbrook, Kent, Scholar
              Herbert GURR Son Male 10 Cranbrook, Kent, Scholar
              >>>>> Joseph GURR Grandfather M Male 81 Cranbrook, Kent,
              Martha GURR Grandmother M Female 67 Cranbrook, Kent,
              Last edited by Little Nell; 06-05-08, 22:24.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This would appear to be Joseph's baptism, also from familysearch

JOSEPH GURR
                Birth: 11 OCT 1799
                Christening: 10 DEC 1799 Chapel On The Hill-Independent, Cranbrook, Kent, England
                Parents: Father: JOSEPH GURR & Mother: ELISABETH
                Source Information: Batch No.: C068111

Comment

The Henry who married Sarah Clout was 25 at the marriage in 1858 (familysearch). So he would be born abt 1835.

1841 census has a Henry Gurr born abt 1834, in Sutton Valence, Kent
                  Joseph Gurr 40 ag lab
                  Sptamy [looks like Eplamy!] Gurr 35
                  Elizabeth Gurr 14
                  Joseph Gurr 11
                  Susanna Gurr 9
                  Henry Gurr 7
                  Thomas Gurr 5
                  Mary Ann Gurr 11 Mo
                  all born in Kent.

Not sure if this fits with the lathe renderer!

Comment

1861 has Joseph Gurr born 1799 in Sittingbourne, Kent, still in Sutton Valence with wife Septime.

So as he was just a year or so older than George's father Joseph, he can't be his dad!

Comment

Thank you Little Nell. Didnt see him on 1881 census but I think that will put him in the right place as it has him as grandfather. I was just curious as GEorge Augustus married in Staplehurst where all my Gurr lot were from so thought there would be a connection. Probably will be somewhere if I keep digging...lol
                      Thank you for looking.

Comment

Gloryer

No worries. Quite often I find a surname match in the right locality but haven't been able to work out where the link is - and of course it could be way way back!

Comment

Working...
                        X