parish chest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parish chest

I am going to Lincoln RO tomorrow. Hoping to find (amongst other things) lots of DODs and MIs and -at least one- WILL.

Someone said to me last time I was there (on my way OUT!) that I could put the name of a town in their computer and ask for info on the Parish Chest.

Can anyone tell me anything about this?
    Rose

Oh Rosie! I have never heard of that.

We were at Lincoln Archives at the end of March. There was a 10-12 week wait for wills - I have already waited 5 weeks!:(

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread with great interest.

What is the "parish chest"?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

A parish chest was the strong wooden chest, with three locks - keys held by vicar, archdeacon and wardens I think, which by law was used to hold all the documents relating to the parish - baptism, marriage and burial registers but also such things as minutes of meetings, and poor law transactions such as removal orders. Nowadays it tends to be a term used to refer to these all miscellaneous documents which may or may not survive and be lodged at the records office.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Is this to do with it?

Lincolnshire - Parish Chest

Comment

Don't think so, Merry - that's a commercial site. But I can't see it on the Lincolnshire Archives website just now, though it could be hiding somewhere - or maybe you can only access it at the archives?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, wait - I think it might be this:
            Collections - Lincolnshire County Council
            KiteRunner

Comment

that could be it Kate.

I look forward to finding out tomorrow!!

*sharpens pencils and polishes spectacles*
              Rose

Comment

It's certainly worth looking at the Parish Chest. I found quite a lot of information on one of my families in the Parish Chest records of a small village in Berkshire, such as details of money given to them by the Parish and what they did to earn it, the amount they paid in rent, allowances made when the breadwinner was too ill to work, etc.
                Jenny

Comment

This is slightly off subject, but when I visited Lincoln Archives last week (note there has been a big change in opening times) they were starting a trial that day for the use of digital cameras. We were able to photograph a settlement certificate for free which meant we did not have to wait the 12 weeks or more for a copy.

I am not sure if this applies to all documents and of course you have to sign a copyright form.

May help someone visiting the Archives to know it is worth taking your camera and enquiring.

Labradormad

Comment

Originally posted by labradormad View Post
                    This is slightly off subject, but when I visited Lincoln Archives last week (note there has been a big change in opening times) they were starting a trial that day for the use of digital cameras. We were able to photograph a settlement certificate for free which meant we did not have to wait the 12 weeks or more for a copy.

I am not sure if this applies to all documents and of course you have to sign a copyright form.

May help someone visiting the Archives to know it is worth taking your camera and enquiring.

Labradormad

Thanks, that will be worth knowing for next time - or should I say, for the day when I ever discover how to find any of my lot in the books and volumes etc that line the walls! That is still virgin territory to me as I have yet to stray from the parish records on the micro fiche.

The parish chest - I think I was given duff information by the person who told me about it and the computer. I understand now what the actual chest was, but the records of what it contained are in the black books of each parish. So it's best just to look through those apparently.

I spent almost 6 hours trawling the PRs - the only real breakthrough being that I found a baptism and from that I found her mother's christian name. Will have to try another day to find MMN. It was 1808 so the parents are unlikely to be on even the first census.

Some of the writing I came across today was almost illegible and the PRs for the early 19th century are not in the nice gridlines of later ones. I expect it will only get worse now, the further back I go!

A tip: always take a spare pencil because it is very annoying when your lead keeps breaking and you have to fork out 30p for one of theirs

That's me for the night - got tired eyes from looking at green on green all day!
                    Rose

Comment

Rosie, if it's like Nottinghamshire Archives, they may have some printed transcriptions available of the PR's for some parishes - worth looking next time maybe?
                      KiteRunner

Comment

When we went to Lincolnshire Archives in March, we looked at parish registers and the Bishops' Transcripts.

However, the village that OH's ancestors came from (Braceby) does not have all its registers at the Archives - they are still held by the church warden in the village as they are still in use! However, the Archive did not have information on this. It was purely by chance that we found the entries we were looking for as we went back to Braceby and were directed to the Church Warden's house, and she invited us in!

I'm still waiting for the will I ordered. 5 weeks down and possibly another 7 to go!:(
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:
                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks for putting on the link to the Parish chest, at the archives. I have now saved the list for Barton upon Humber so hopefully will be able to look at something new next time I get to Lincoln.
                          Lynn

Comment

Working...
                          X