Help please!! North of Watford.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please!! North of Watford.....

All my rellies are from the south of England, so..............

Where's Tweedmouth?

I thought it was in County Durham, but is it in (or is there another one) in Scotland?? (Berwickshire)

It's this census person:

Transcribed as James S Buck, but there's no surname actually written on the census page!

1861: RG9; Piece: 2735; Folio: 120; Page: 42

I'm trying to discover if he was really a Buck (I thought I had all of Richard Buck's nephews and nieces accounted for :() or if maybe he is a nephew of Richard's wife, Georgina Patterson McVicar.....In which case I have to admit I'm not really worried about where he came from!! lol

My map says it is right outside Berwick-upon-Tweed, so I would think it must have been in Scotland at one time.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Right thanks , so really I need to look on both censuses in 1841? *heavy sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Lady
        You need Glen!!!
        lolol!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
          All my rellies are from the south of England, so..............

Where's Tweedmouth?

I thought it was in County Durham, but is it in (or is there another one) in Scotland?? (Berwickshire)

It's this census person:

Transcribed as James S Buck, but there's no surname actually written on the census page!

1861: RG9; Piece: 2735; Folio: 120; Page: 42

I'm trying to discover if he was really a Buck (I thought I had all of Richard Buck's nephews and nieces accounted for :() or if maybe he is a nephew of Richard's wife, Georgina Patterson McVicar.....In which case I have to admit I'm not really worried about where he came from!! lol
          Tweedmouth is at the mouth of the Tweed :D:D
          It's on the south bank, where Berwick is on the north bank. So it's in Northumberland.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Okay, according to this history of Berwick site:
            Berwick upon Tweed history

Berwick became English for the last time in 1482, so if he was born in Tweedmouth it was in England at the time he was born, but it was very near the border and as you will see if you read that page, it would be easy for people to think it was in Scotland.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks you. I will look harder at the England 1841 then!

Comment

Anyway, looking at the 1861 image, it only says "Berwick Tweedmouth" for James - "Scotland" is on the line below and presumably refers to the niece, Mary. So James must come from the Tweedmouth that is just outside Berwick.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  Anyway, looking at the 1861 image, it only says "Berwick Tweedmouth" for James - "Scotland" is on the line below and presumably refers to the niece, Mary. So James must come from the Tweedmouth that is just outside Berwick.
                  Yes I realise Scotland was written on the next line, but I ignorantly thought Berwick refered to the name of the county and that is in Scotland!

Comment

Working...
                  X