Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland

Hi All, I have hit a dead end in my investigations. I have traced back to 1841 census and found my relatives to have been born in ireland. I am stumped now as to how to proceed as I have no knowledge of which county. All I have is names and dob's. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the site stender

Well, other than adopting a different set of ancestors....:D

Sorry!

I think unless you are very lucky it can be pretty much impossible to trace Irish immigrants back to Ireland unless they have at least managed to give a county on one of the censuses, or have unusual names. Have you been able to find them on all the census returns they should be on?

Comment

Stender, it might be easier for us to advise you if you give us the details that you have so far. Though I must admit I haven't got very far with my Irish ancestors yet!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the welcome.
        I have gone back as far as I can on the census' im aware of and all are situated in Limehouse (east london) back to 1841 where I have hit the wall as that census says born ireland. I will post the details later but the surname is dillon and it's laurence or lawrence dillon.

Regards

Comment

There are some Irish records on FamilySearch, but I can't see a Laurence or Lawrence Dillon on there of the right age - if he is the one who is 45 (i.e. 45 to 49) on the 1841 census. There is quite a lot of Irish stuff online now at Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation
          and there are a couple of Laurence Dillon baptisms listed on there around the right time (both County Dublin, one is 1793, one 1795) - if that one I was looking at in 1841 is the right one!

Anyway, Laurence Dillon doesn't look to be a very common name, so it may be possible to work out which is the right one.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Kite, there's another one b abt 1808 living in Limehouse in 1871. :(

RG10; Piece: 552; Folio: 20; Page: 33

Comment

That's why I left it there, Merry - waiting for Stender to come back and tell us some more details!
              KiteRunner

Comment

Hi All, Your a very helpful bunch on here

The problem I have is, I stopped doing my research about a year or so ago and my notes don't mean as much to me now as they did and I can't find my 1841 data!

The concrete lead I have is John Dillon born +- 1845 married Sophia Ross died 15/5/1929 This is my great grandfather.

1881 shows him living st annes place, limehouse
                1861 shows a John aged 14 living at 7 marchants row, limehouse with Mary 18, and Mary (mother) 49 and Lawrence 50 (father) parents are down as born ireland.
                I believe I deduced that is my great grandfather John Dillon. And at some point must have found Lawrence in the 1841 census????

The problem having Irish blood and doing a tree is the families were all large and they all named the kids after family theres generations of the same names!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  RG10; Piece: 552; Folio: 20; Page: 33
                  The above Lawrence (b abt 1808, Ireland) has a son, John aged 23 in 1871 and aged 4 in 1851. I guess that's the one??

In 1841 they are transcribed by Ancestry as Simson, which is the surname of the person before them on the census! I have not seen anything but "Ireland" for their place of birth on any census. In 1841 the three-year-old and older children were born in Ireland and the youngest, Letitia 7mths, was born in Middlesex, so you can get a good idea of when they came to England.

Comment

That means that if the birth of any of the children born in England was registered, you will be able to find out the mother's maiden name, and then you can look for the parents' marriage in Ireland, and if you find it you will know you have the right one because of her surname - then you should know what part of Ireland they came from and maybe trace them back further.
                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 06-05-08, 21:54.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Kite , you hope...... ! I'm having a right time with my Irish lot and I've still got people to ask who are alive..... Many surnames are grouped together like noones business in many Irish Counties... In Cavan for instance, Brady one of my names have at least 3 families.... you were either a McBrady a Ne ( squiggly thing) Brady or an Obrady..... Which do not come across in the records....... Although I'm told we are the squiggly Ne's ..... :D

Comment

Originally posted by Peppie View Post
                        Kite , you hope...... ! :D
                        Don't worry, I can't see any registrations for the children born here!!! :(:(

Comment

dillon

Originally posted by stender View Post
                          Hi, Thanks for the welcome.
                          I have gone back as far as I can on the census' im aware of and all are situated in Limehouse (east london) back to 1841 where I have hit the wall as that census says born ireland. I will post the details later but the surname is dillon and it's laurence or lawrence dillon.

Regards
                          hi stender I went to dublin last year looking for records, a kind soul told me that if you can identify a cemetary you can look up the records of the burials at that cemetary and it will show you who bought the grave and address, who is in the plot as well as and who buried who, so you can find other family members i found this very helpful in tracking relatives i knew nothing of, not much help at this stage of your search but maybe later. Also the irish have free access to their records via the library do you know anybody there that will look up for you good luck Lindyloo
                          PS what a great site this is
                          Linda

Comment

Thank You all. I shall have to get my facts together and see where I stand. Thanks again, this is a very friendly and helpful forum!

Comment

Working...
                            X