A plug for wills.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A plug for wills.

Some of you will remember I found some wills on the Lancs Will Search site.

Well, they've arrived. Took about two weeks from my sending the letter to the RO till they were in my postbox today. Can't get our mail from one city to another that quickly, so top marks to get it around the world.

Well........they are great!!!!! All the people named as well as names for places, even the fields are named and where the gardens, outhouses and enclosures were. Now to find Harry's Field, Dixon's Field etc.

I can't stress how good wills can be. I think the 5 pounds each Lancs RO want is top value and I'm off to see if they have any more.

I proved 7 x great grandfather was Hugh Addison who died in 1743 as he names all his children and grand children. AND........his wife's name was JANE. Never been able to find that, but now I know where all the children named Jane came from.

As you can see I'm happy.

Great result Libby, I just wish a few more of my lot had left wills

Comment

Libby, well done!

I have Lancashire relatives - do you have the link for the Lancashire Wills site? I would love to find a will or two for my Alexanders.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Elizabeth......I used this site

Lancashire Will Search

and then after I'd found them I contacted Lancs RO by email and asked if they had them. They were very quick.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks, Libby.

I have lots of wills for other branches of the family, but none for the Lancs. ones - probably too poor!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

These ones I'm doing belong to OH I think they owned whatever OC's lot didn't!!!!!!!

Mine were dirt poor illiterates from Essex and I've given up on them. The other side were farmers from Banffshire and they are so confused I'm sure they married their siblings. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              The other side were farmers from Banffshire and they are so confused I'm sure they married their siblings. LOL.
              LOL, Libby! I have Richardsons from Banffshire, and they have supplied lots of entertainment this past year! My great-great-grandmother Isabella had two daughters by different fathers before getting pregnant again and marrying. The older daughter (my g-grandmother) seems to have left and moved down south to get away from them!! I think she felt the stigma of illegitimacy, because my grandmother (her daughter) was very prudish.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                Mine were dirt poor illiterates.....
                I've got lots of those :(

Can I plug Cheshire Wills as well in case anyone has those. The database is searchable (1492 to 1940) and copies cost £3 plus postage. I've had a few from there and the service is excellent.

Cheshire County Council - Wills Database Online Home

Jackie
                Last edited by Night Owl; 06-05-08, 12:56. Reason: Link added
                Jackie

Comment

Jackie, the Cheshire site is brilliant. It's a pity I haven't got more in Cheshire.

5 weeks ago OH and I were in Lincoln and found a will for OH's 4xgt grandfather. We ordered it and they said it would probably take 10-12 weeks and that they couldn't say how much it would cost as it depends on how many pages.

I'm waiting (im)patiently, hoping it provides a few answers, but I must say I'm disappointed with the service.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Any links for Hampshire? Just in case my Ag Labs were rich Ag Labs?! :D

Bee

I'll check back later - off to do some work!
                    Last edited by Bee; 06-05-08, 13:23. Reason: To explain absence for a while.
                    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Bee - Try this link:

CALM Database
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Hi, Not sure if this has been mentioned but you can get Wills on Scotland People which can be downloaded for £5. Great value and a real treasure of info, they make great reading and give a wonderful insight into our ancestors lives.
                        herky
                        herky
                        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

The Probate service had a stand at WDYTYA (where they were handing out pink elephants!) and they said that post 1858 willa will be searchable online within the next few months!
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Woohoo!
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Wills are like other sources of information - you don't know what you are going to find till you've bought it. I've found some very interesting stuff that throws a light on family situations and other wills that don't really tell you anything you didn't already know.

Sadly most of my ancestors didn't leave Wills either.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

So far I've been really lucky. Every will I have has described in detail all the family and even why certain people were chosen for things.

This last one (from 1814) was also beautifully written so I could read it straight off.
                                The 1743 one will take a bit of sorting, but it is readbable.

I just wish the PRs for that area were done so I could work further back. Maybe I'll have to volunteer to transcribe them. That sounds scary.

Comment

Wiltshire also have a catalogue on-line and are gradually adding copies.

Wiltshire County Council - Wiltshire Archive Catalogue - Wiltshire Wills
                                  Jenny

Comment

There's an index of Derbyshire wills on the Wirksworth site; if you find one you want, you can then order it from the Record Office:

WIRKSWORTH-Parish Records-Derbyshire WILLS

Comment

post 1858 willa will be searchable online within the next few months!
                                      That's excellent news. Only PCC wills, presumably?

Comment

Mary, there are no PCC wills post-1858 because the probate system was taken over by the state. I presume it will be the index (National Probate Calendar) which is searchable online rather then the actual wills, but who knows?
                                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                        X