Four troublesome women....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four troublesome women....

I have this lot who are almost certainly part of my family but I've been stuck on them for a long while and wondered if anyone could see anything that I can't.

They are two sisters, Mary Dempsey born c1806 Cork, Ireland and Catherine Adams bc1817 Whitechapel, London plus Mary's daughters Bridget and Mary.

1841 Wentworth Street, Spitalfields
    Mary Dimsey 30 charwoman Ireland
    Bridget 7 Middlesex
    Mary 3 Middlesex

1851 Sharps Alley, St Sepulchre
    Catherine Adams head unm 33 musical string maker St Mary Whitechapel
    Mary Dempsey sister widow 44 " " " Cork, Ireland
    Mary Dempsey daughter 13 St Mary Whitechapel

1851 Whitechapel North
    Bridget Dempsey 16 servant Whitechapel

1861 Cowcross Street St Sepulchre
    Mary Dempsey head widow 57 musical string maker Cork Ireland
    Bridget Dempsey dau 25 unm " " " Mile End
    Catherine Adams lodger 44 unm " " " Whitechapel

After this, I lose them all. I can't find appropriate marriages or deaths or future census returns.

There is a possible for Catherine Adams in Flower & Dean Street, Spitalfields in 1871 but I'm not convinced.

I think it's quite likely that the Mary Dempsy who married in Sep 1856 Holborn is the younger Mary but I can't find her on any census - the males are James Benson and (more likely) Morris Connell.
    Asa

I'm a little confused as St Sepulchre seems to be in both Holborn and West London districts over the same time frame! Anyway, there's this possible:

Deaths Dec 1862
    DEMPSEY Mary Ann W London 1c 3

Comment

Thanks Merry - there are a few possibles in Islington too - which as they were connected to the Cattle Market trades is possible but I suppose I'm going to have to take the plunge and try some death certs.

That's odd about St Sepulchre - it's definitely Holborn (Clerkenwell). It's around the Old Bailey area so basically on the North edge of the City.
      Asa

Comment

St Sepulchre is almost opposite the site of Newgate Prison, close to the Old Bailey, and at the eastern edge of Holborn (the street). I wonder if the parish was split between Holborn and West London? Not helpful, is it!

St S has a bell which was rung the night before a condemned prisoner was executed at Newgate.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
        X